Chapter 48: Man of the House

Prince narrates: 

 There's a family gathering at Penelope's Aunt Sophie's house and I'm invited to it. There's an open invitation for me to attend Penelope's family functions. I've been to several of these. Her family is rather welcoming. Even Mr. Smith is slowly coming around. He sees that Penelope and I love each other. Eventually, I found out that there are is one rule people are to obey when I'm here: act as though I'm a normal person. This mainly to prevent the younger family members from acting like fans.

 We are early. As always jazz music plays from the phonograph. Sophie loves jazz and claims that food, lively people and jazz are all you need for a party. Penelope plays with Sophie's black poodle Pepe, who is greeting us like there's no tomorrow. 

"Penny, how's the photography biz?" Sophie asks.

"Great. A clothing store wants me to do their ads for next season." Penelope replies. That's my girl. 

"Good! " Then Sophie tells me "Hi there, Cutie Pie! I see you changed your hair! Looks good." 

"Thank you." I reply It's not that odd for her to call me things like "Cutie Pie" At first it felt weird, but I got used to it. 

 Sophie is Mr. Smith's younger sister. She's a petite, cheery, well heeled divorcee who always smells like gardenias and hosts many of the family events. Her home is truly set up for entertaining. Many love her fully stocked bar, but I love her collection of jazz records and the piano that's been in the Smith family for generations. Last year I had the piano sent out for much needed restoration and had it back in time for Christmas, as my gift to the family. They thought it was great and Sophie said I made the piano "happy". It is not unusual for me end up playing it. 

I look at the pictures on the wall

I look at the pictures on the wall. Damn, that picture of Penelope, Warhol and I from the Post is on the wall. I hate that picture. There's a picture of basically everyone at the last family gathering- including myself. Really, I stick out in this photo with pasty people of mainly European and Gypsy descent.

 The only things have in common with them physically is being short. No one has ever pointed it out to me though. They really don't care. The first time I came to a family event I was greeted with smiles and comments such as,"About time our little wallflower found a boyfriend." 

There's another photo I notice, a group shot Penelope was about sixteen and was quite a bit thinner. She was cute, of course and I know she'd love to be that thin again. Personally, I think she looks better with her muscles and curves. She'd never believe me if I told her that, though.

 Maybe it's strange but lately I'm beginning to feel more like a part of Penelope's family. I don't have track record of getting along this good with some of the families of my girlfriends. 

When I met Gloria's Daddy and he asked what I studied in college and I had to say I didn't go, he instantly looked down on me. And my sense of humor differed from his so we didn't get along. Then I can't help but think of the time Margaret's father came to visit us in New York.