Chapter 8

Song is Centuries by Fall Out Boy and the picture is Slater

RICHMOND, VIRGINIA 2010

Victoria POV:

I pulled into the parking garage, the tires of my car squealing at the movement. My foot pressed down on the brakes as I parked alongside the black SUV with tinted windows. The two vampires looked up at me, one I particular catching my attention. Rose stood there beside Damon, her eyes narrowing slightly when she couldn't see who was in the car. She looked to Damon who smiled slightly while shrugging his shoulders.

My fingers pressed a button on my car, stopping the engines, before leaning over and grabbing my purse from the passenger seat. I pulled on the door handle before stepping from the car to smirk at Rose who looked genuinely shocked that I'd been the one to climb out of the car. "Please tell me when you said reinforcements you did not mean her." She hissed into his ear, something that would go unheard by the human ear, but to a vampire it was like she'd just shouted it to the world.

I wrapped my arms around Damon in a quick hug before turning back to Rose. "What's the matter?" I could feel the achievement radiating off Damon as Rose struggled slightly with her speech. I had just arrived at the Salvatore house when he'd called me stating he was going to Richmond with Rose to find a vampire named Slater, a quite literal walking encyclopedia of the vampire world.

"You know the Salvatore boys then?" The question was rhetorical, but I nodded anyways, my smirk growing as she swallowed carefully. Five hundred years running had obviously made her paranoid. Damon hadn't spoken a word since I arrived, a rare occasion in the presence of him. He always had something to say but at the moment he seemed to rather enjoy the small hatred that was burning in both Rose's and my eyes.

With one last look at the two of them I began walking towards the back entrance. The cafe was familiar as I'd been here quite a few times in the past few years. Mainly a way to escape Damon or Stefan after arguments, or a way to meet up with vampire friends who lacked the safety of a daylight ring. "Come on!" I shouted back at Rose and Damon who had just watched me walk away.

With the use of vampire speed, Rose reached the door before I did and swung it open. I rolled my eyes at her childish actions before walking in myself, Damon trailing slightly behind. The sunlight from the windows was the main source of light in this cafe, an illusion as to what sort of creatures were normally here. Vampires littered the room, Damon and I being the only ones who possessed daylight rings giving me a sense of superiority beyond my strength and age.

As we walked through the cafe, Rose began taking her jacket off while Damon gave an odd look to the windows which we were walking closer to. "Woah, what about the - uh - sunlight?" He questioned, pointedly watching the windows. Rose slipped her jacket onto a chair while I just looked at him like he was stupid, which he was. If the sunlight could get in here, then why would Rose walk willingly to her death? No matter how much I'd like to see that, it wouldn't happen anytime soon.

"Double-pained and tempered, UV rays can't penetrate." She explained, looking back at Damon and I. "You see the appeal now?" Damon hummed in response, leaning against the counter with a brooding look, he and Stefan were a lot more alike than they would ever admit.

I watched as a man in his mid-twenties walked over to us, I recognized him easily as Slater, Rose's vampire friend. "That and the free wifi." He smiled fondly as Rose turned to look at him. They greeted each other, sharing a quick hug while Damon and I stood aside simply watching the exchange awkwardly. The two vampires exchanged a bit of small talk before Slater turned a bit more serious. "I saw you come, what are you doing here?"

"It's a long story." Rose replied, placing her forearms onto the sleek countertop. I looked over at Damon who's lips were pressed in a thin line while he watched the two. My look was of pure disgust, in no way would I have chosen to spend my day with Rose and friends if my niece's life was not in danger. But sadly, it was and I had to do what I could to keep any Originals from finding her. "But I want you to meet-"