Not "Imagine Charlie" 1.0

My eyes flutter open and I'm alone. My side of the bed is empty and undisturbed. What time is it? I pull my cellphone out from under the pillow and check. It's 2:48 AM. I also notice that I have several missed calls and a few texts, but none of them are from Charlie. I frown and I drag myself out of bed. Exchanging my jeans for a pair of leggings,I slide on my slippers and head downstairs to the living room. I'm a little disappointed to not see Charlie's long body strewn along the couch, nor is his motorcycle in the driveway.

It's almost three in the morning, where is he? I pick up the house phone and dial Charlie's number but it doesn't even ring. It goes straight to voicemail. Seriously? Your phone is off. You could be lying in a ditch for all I know. Lovely... just lovely, Charlie. My stomach rumbles and I remember that I didn't eat due to our argument. I'm really don't even feel like eating but considering I now have to eat for three, I make a grilled cheese along with some chicken noodle soup. I settle down on the couch and eat. I wash the dishes and glance at the clock above the sink. It is now 3:50 AM, and not a peep from Charlie.

The house phone starts to ring, startling me, and I run to it. I look at the name on the caller ID. It's Jary. Why is she calling the house at this time? I answer.

"Hello," I answer, timidly.

"Hey," a rough voice that is most definitely not Jary's comes through the phone. It's Theo,her fiancé. He must be calling from their house phone.

"Hi, Theo," I say cautiously. "Is everything ok?" I ask, a little concerned considering it's about to be four in the morning.

"Don't worry, everything's good," he says. "I just thought you should know that Charlie is here. He's pretty drunk right now, and turned off his phone." That explains it... He continues, "I told him to call you but you know better than me that he's a very stubborn drunk. Just thought you shouldn't break your brain worrying."

His words ease the anxiety that has grown inside me. I let out a long sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "Thanks, Theo... I'm guessing he told you what happened tonight?" I half ask.

He chuckles a little. "Yeah, he did. And Jary was here when he decided to spill, so be ready for the phone calls."

"That's just great," I say sarcastically and laugh. Even my laugh sounds sarcastic. "You're his best friend, so I'm sure you know how he gets... Just don't let him drive anywhere, please."

"Took his keys hours ago, doll. Don't even worry about that," he reassures me.

I smile. "Alright, goodnight Theo. Thanks again, by the way." I say.

"You're welcome. Sleep easy, doll."

I place the phone back in it's cradle, turn off all the lights and turn on the alarm. I drag myself back upstairs and into bed. I yawn and take notice that I'm sleepy again. Pregnancy symptoms, hooray. It's one I didn't even noticed I had until this very moment. I drift off into an uninterrupted sleep.

I spent the whole day Sunday cleaning, doing our laundry, having to go buy a new pair of sneakers, and avoiding Jary at all costs. Not a single word from Charlie. I climb into bed at night, clutching Charlie's pillow to my chest. I miss him like crazy.

I wake up Monday morning to the most annoying sound ever, my alarm clock. Charlie usually hits snooze and pulls me into his arms, allowing me to sleep for another twenty minutes pressed against his chest. That's when I notice that my side of the bed is still perfectly intact. Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I thought we were past all the craziness. Whenever we argued, we would make up the same night, but this one is different. And I still don't even know why he left the show. "For you." His words come back to me and I roll my eyes.