Chapter Nine

Okay, so I've just decided to start numbering the chapters instead of giving them titles? If you want me to go back to the way it was before- let me know :)
----------------------------------------------
Diamond City was huge. As we made our way down the stairs, I looked around wildly.
"City hasn't changed a bit.." Maccready murmurs, sticking his hands in his pockets and looking down now, matching my slow, even pace.
I was too amazed to even reply to him, never before had I seen something so lively out in the Commonwealth, in fact, the only other place I knew to be this bright and cheery was my childhood home of Little Lamplight. I'm torn from my thoughts as I hear yelling coming a few feet away from us, and I look directly ahead to see two men, one pointing a gun at the other. And of course, practically the entire town was surrounding them, security sitting back and doing nothing.
Mac and I make our way over, exchanging worried glances. It was pretty easy to get to the front of the crowd, giving as there was an opening right where we were headed.
"I'm not a synth! I'm telling you, please, don't shoot!" The seemingly older man cries, holding his hands in the air.
I quietly unholster my 10 mil, loading it and keeping my eyes on the arguing men.
"I know you're one! I read the papers!" The man opposite from him snarls, moving his hand to the trigger.
Mac nudges me, and I take that as my signal to bring the gun up and fire, sending a bullet straight through the young mans head. Blood splatters everywhere and he slumps over, falling to the ground, and even though he's now dead, he still clutches his gun in his hand.
"Alright, alright! Shows over everyone, go back to your stalls." One of the security members shout, and slowly but surely the crowd dispersed, some heading into the buildings decorated with Christmas lights, others standing behind counters. I feel a tap on my shoulder and spin around, MacCready following and placing a hand in front of me, expecting us to get attacked.
It really was a safe assumption though, after all, I had just shot and killed a man in the middle of the towns square with everyone watching.
Instead we were greeted with the man in the flannel, "woah woah, sorry to scare you two. Just... I just wanted to thank you. You saved my life. My own brother.." he says, trailing off and looking over to where the body lay on the ground now.
I nod a little bit, "yeah, hey, it's no problem. I'm really sorry, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know." I offer, giving him a sad smile.
"No, I think... I think I'm just gonna need some time." He shrugs, brushing past us and over to his now dead brother, kneeling next to him and closing his eyes.
I feel my heart lurch as I watch this, and it really hits me. Just how many people out here had died, how many people had died taking a bullet for a friend, or how many children were parentless after watching their mother and father get torn apart by deathclaws. And it breaks my heart, because I know that one day it could be me that gets left behind by someone close.
I find myself leaning against MacCreadys shoulder, tears forming in my eyes now.
"Hey, doll..." he whispers, rubbing my back a little bit. "You did the right thing, okay? You saved someone."
"I guess." I shrug, looking down and scuffing my feet in the dirt a little bit. "Come on, we should go... restock or something." I mutter, pulling away from him and starting to head over to one of the stalls. It had drawn me, the bright neon lights and all the ammo cases, I knew this would be a good place to get the materials Robby and I needed to go tackle the Commonwealth once more. After all, we needed all we could get, we had a plan to take down the men who MacCready had left some years ago, the group of people who called themselves the Gunners. 
"Hello there!" I greet politely, "I'm (y/n), nice to meet you."
"Hi! You're the new couple, right?" The Mexican man asks, giving me a charming smile as he leans forward, using his counter to support himself.
I snort a little bit as he refers to us as a couple, Robby joining in and both of us shaking our heads.
"Nah, in his dreams. We're just trying to stock up, got a lotta shit to be taking care of." I explain, glancing over at Robby and grinning.
The man behind the counter laughs, "well then, you've come to the right place! Name's Arturo, its a pleasure." He chirps, "I've got quite a selection, just let me know when you're settled on something." He adds, pulling out a few sheets of paper with a list of what he has in stock, as well as the cost next to it.
We both look over the long list of items, I cover ammo, while Mac looks at the new guns. We'd scavenged and earned a few caps along the way, so money wasn't exactly an issue, plus we stripped bodies of anything useful for bartering. In the end we've got enough ammo to take down an army, which is literally what we need because we were taking down an army in a way, and both have two shiny new guns, a pistol and shot gun for each of us. That meant that we were basically out of caps, but it was worth it, we were ready.
Now all we needed was a good nights rest.

——————————————————
Hrghhh hi guys, this is pretty dang short! Also it's been ages since I've updated... I'm kinda at a busy point in life right now. Anyways, i hope you enjoyed it at least a little!