5: Job Complaints

5: Job Complaints

Anakin caught up with Luke at his speeder, Luke already in the passenger seat, sensing Anakin would want to fly. They flew to the Temple in silence, both Luke and Anakin in deep thought. Luke was worrying about how he could continue to save Anakin without provoking Sidious while Anakin was trying to drown his confusion about Luke with the exhilarating thought of being a master. 

Under his euphoria, Anakin could still sense Luke's turmoil through their unexplained connection. It was strange because Anakin had no idea how the bond had been established. Also, it was fairly strong and only growing.

When they arrived at the Temple, Anakin and Luke went straight to the Council to report. Outside the doors, Luke and Anakin stood pensively until the doors opened. They entered and stood in the middle of the room.

Master Windu began to speak. "Anakin Skywalker, Luke Starstrider, we have approved your appointment to the Council as the Chancellor's personal representatives."

"I will do my best to uphold the principles of the Jedi Order." Anakin said. Luke just bowed his head.

"Allow this appointment lightly, the Council does not. Disturbing is this move by Chancellor Palpatine." Yoda chided.

"I understand." Anakin said.

"You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master." Mace stated.

Anakin stood in shock until his shock melted into anger. "What? ! How can you do this?? This is outrageous, it's unfair . . . I'm more powerful than any of you. How can you be on the Council and not be a Master?"

Luke put a hand on Anakin's shoulder, silently telling him to calm down.

"Take a seat, young Skywalker." Master Windu commanded.

"Forgive me, Master." Anakin bowed his head, silently thanking Luke. Luke and Anakin both went to sit down in the two empty chairs.

Ki-Adi-Mundi's hologram spoke. "We have surveyed all systems in the Republic, and have found no sign of General Grievous."

"Hiding in the Outer Rim, Grievous is. The outlying systems, you must sweep." Yoda said.

"It may take some time . . . we do not have many ships to spare." Obi-Wan said, stroking his beard.

"We cannot take ships from the front line." Master Windu agreed.

"And yet, it would be fatal for us to allow the droid armies to regroup." Obi-Wan voiced.

"Master Kenobi, our spies contact, you must, and then wait." Yoda ordered.

"What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?" asked Ki-Adi-Mundi.

"It is critical we send an attack group there, immediately!" Master Windu said.

"He's right, that is a system we cannot afford to lose. It's the main navigation route for the southwestern quadrant." Obi-Wan agreed. (A/N: My computer auto corrected Obi-Wan into Ewan. Smart Computer!)

"I know that system well. It would take us little time to drive the droids off that planet." Anakin stepped in.

"Skywalker, your assignment is here with the Chancellor, and Kenobi must find General Grievous." Master Windu said.

"Go, I will. Good relations with the Wookiees, I have." Master Yoda said.

"It is settled then. Master Yoda will take a battalion of clones to reinforce the Wookiees on Kashyyyk. May the Force be with us all." Master Windu proclaimed.