waiting to exhale || three

not edited.

your point of view.

"Why does it hurt so bad

Why do I feel so sad

Thought I was over you

But I keep crying

When I don't love you

So why does it hurt so bad"

"What do you want out of this divorce?" the judge look down from her seat and at my table. "If I may ask?"

"We just want the house and his support for the both of their children," my lawyer spoke up after a while of just complete silence. "That is all we're asking for in this hearing."

Biting the tip of my pen in anticipation as the judge nodded her head, I was scared to death that this could go either way.

"Let me ask the same question to you, sir," she creased her head at my now ex-husband who was defending himself. "What do you want from this divorce with Ms. Y/l/n?"

Not even trailing my eyes over to that bastard I called my husband for so many years, I closed my eyes, restraining myself from letting a tear slip from my face.

I did not want to give him the satisfaction of me crying in front of him.

I wanted him to see that I could live without his sorry ass.

"I want full custody my children, the house, and child support from her every two weeks," he said with hatred in his voice. "She can't take care of them like me and my wife can."

Giving him an appalled look, how could he say that?

He knew I had no job right now, nowhere to go outside of our house, and knew that our kids meant the word to me.

With the smile on his fucking face, he wanted to take everything I had left of my dignity.

What made it worse is the fact that he did it in spite of me.

"I will never let you have my children over my dead body," I screamed at him, not even caring that we had witnessed in the courtroom. "I've spent more time with them in the last year than you ever spent in their whole lives. So don't come in here and tell me that you're going to take care of them when I'm their mother."

He waved me off. "We'll see about that y/n."

Shaking my leg under the table, I focused my eyes to the judge that had a disgusted look on her face.

"With all that has transpired over these few minutes, I have come to the best conclusion of this case. Mr. Powers, I have tried to be fair, but I will be giving the both of you joint custody of your two children."

"The only thing I should say after this is that I need the both of you to be civil with one another or at least for the sake of your children. Without further or due, you all may leave."

Holding my breath until she finished her last sentence, I jumped up from my seat and hugged my lawyer with all that I had.

"Thank you," I cried into her arms. With the way he treated me after filing for divorce, this was the day I will remember for the rest of my life.

Grabbing my things from the table, I smiled at the judge before walking to the back of the courtroom to leave.

Stopping at the door as Keith stood in front of me, we didn't share a word to each other as he held his hand out for me to shake.