Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Kyle

            I had to take in deep breaths of air before knocking on the door, not waiting for Payton to answer before I walked in. It felt as though the anger was rolling off of me in strong waves, allowing anyone in the room to know. If Payton noticed I was angry, she didn't show it. The blank look on her face - as well as her sitting in the bed with the blankets up to her waist - showed off her tiredness to me. I don't think she would have asked even if she had noticed my anger, she looked so worn out. I don't think I've ever seen her so tired, but after retelling her story, I really don't blame her for being tired. It would be hard to let so much out after keeping it in for so long... not like I would know that or anything, because you know, I've only had feelings for her since I set eyes on her.

            Just thinking about her retelling her story made tears come back to my eyes. I seriously had to man up and not be a big baby every time I heard something heart breaking about Payton, and that seemed to be rather often lately. She eyes me cautiously, almost as if she's suspicious of me crying.

            "What's wrong?" There it is, the question I would have a feeling she would ask. Always putting herself before others, simply because she's that type of person. Anyways, there's nothing wrong with me, other than the fact that I have a strong urge to strangle Luke with my bare hands right now. It takes me a few seconds to realize that she actually expects a response from me.

            I drop my head to look at the floor and shake my head, chuckling to myself. Of course she would expect a response you idiot, she freaking asked you a question. God, I'm losing my cool, hard exterior. But there's something about Payton that I just really want to show her what I'm really like on the inside. Okay, now I seriously sound like a teenage girl gossiping with her friends. Except I'm talking to myself in my head, which is worse. Okay, now I've just gone crazy.

            When I finally manage to stop arguing with myself in my head, I answer her.

            "Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" I grin at her to make up for my long pause-and girl-like behavior. My heart aches when she grins back at me lazily. I wish she felt the same way about me as I do about her. Seriously? Dude, grow up! You're such a girl, maybe that's why she'll never like you. That is totally the reason as to why she would never like me, but I won't let the annoying subconscious part of my brain know that. Now you've seriously gone crazy man. You think you can hide your thoughts from yourself. Be realistic. It's not like there's two people in your body.

            I realize that I've just been staring at her for the last few minutes, just searching her eyes, trying to memorize them. It's difficult though, with all of the shades and patterns of her iris'. There's a little green and gray mixed in with the warm bright blue of her eyes.

            It irritates me that when there is a knock on the door, it forces us to break our eye contact. She clears her throat, obviously flustered, before calling out.

            "Come in!" If I thought it would be simple enough for it to have been a doctor, I was extremely wrong. The door opens slowly, making me more aggravated. There in all his horrible glory, stood Luke.