Chapter 16

Author's note;

I'm so sorry for the long update. Writer's block, full-time job, being a wife and tons of other projects have been getting me behind on this beauty. Thank you for being there for me and bearing with me on this journey. I have the next chapter practically written already, I just have to type it up and add some more details, so hopefully, it will be posted faster than this one (hopefully).

Again, this is unedited, so I'm sorry about that. Hope you like it anyway.

Ta ta for now, enjoy

Hiccup's POV;

Getting everything ready for our flight, as well as trying to get the thought of Astrid being on DunBroch. It's stressing me out. What if she tries to ruin what I have with Merida? Sure, we're just friends, but I don't want her to get the wrong idea about what Astrid and I were. I didn't even get the chance to explain to Merida about what had happened to Astrid and mines relationship.

Trying not to stress about this, remembering that Astrid wouldn't do that to me. She may be mad at me at the moment for not forgiving her right away, but she wouldn't ruin my name.

But now, I need to keep my focus on the task at hand. To get my people ready for potential war. To fight off this monster once and for all, and to free Merida and her Kingdom.

Finding Gobber in the blacksmith's lodge. He was sharpening a Battle Axe, looking deep in thought as sparks carved off the blade's edge.

"Gobber?" I called out over the sound of grinding steel. 

"Yeah, my Boy?!" he hollered back, stopping the machine by taking his foot off the peddle.

"Mind if I talk to you for a moment?" I asked, coming up to him as he set down his tools.

"Sure thing."

"It's about our fight plan against Drago. I'm worried about how to handle this fight. We know nothing about our enemy's current status. About how many are following him now, how many dragons he may have in his possession? We know nothing other than what we already know about this Bastard." I stressed frustratingly, taking a seat next to the furnace.

The fire seemed to sooth my achy soul and tired body. Feeling the warmth of a reminiscing memory of being here when I was a kid, forging weapons for the other Vikings, as well as for myself. 

"Well," Gobber started, hearing him groan as he found a stool and sat across from me. He stretched his leg out as if it was stiff. It's hard to admit this, but it's weird to say that he's getting older. "The first thing that I would do is set up a few scouts to analyze the perimeter. Check out in secret what Drago is up too and to report back to you."

Astonished by his suggestions, as well as dumbfounded that I never thought of it. "That's brilliant, Gobber," I exclaimed, standing up and began pacing back and forth. "I can get four scouts to sneak by Drago's camp and keep me posted on what they see and hear."

"See, a good chief listens to suggestions and makes the right decisions for himself and his people. You are the making of a fine Chief, Hiccup," he smiled, leaning back in his stool.

". . . ." I was at a loss for words. I always thought of Gobber as like a second Father. He's been there for me and my family, especially after my Mother was taken when I was a baby. While my Father was busy taking care of the Village, Gobber took the time to help me hone in on my creative skills.

"You remind me so much of your Father, Hiccup. More of your Mother in a lot of ways, but like your Father none the less," Gobber stated kindly. "Your Father loved his people and would do anything to protect them, just as I see that you are doing now. You want to see them safe as well as this other Kingdom. Your Father would have been so proud of you, Hiccup."