two ; royalty: a prison

ii. royalty: a prison

━ ❝ too kind for this world ❞

━━━━★✼☆。━━━━

EVERY SINGLE DAY the sun would rise, announcing that a new day had begun. And every single night the sun would fall, announcing that the day would be ending soon. It was a cycle that never ended and a cycle that started with or without you. Arabella never paid much mind because time seemed to blend together. She did the same routine every day. However, the next morning after she went to the village, Arabella felt different. This time, the sun greeted her and she welcomed it by springing out of bed and barreling toward the bell beside her bed.

The bell was attached to another that connected to one in the servant quarters. It was how the maids, cooks, and the other workers knew when they were needed. Their quarters weren't the best, but they were certainly better than the village huts that were infested by bugs and were steaming hot. The stone surrounding the entire palace kept the place cool. And when winter came around the corner, the fireplaces would start up and the palace would be warm.

Fireplaces were another thing that Arabella felt her people deserved. During the winter, the only thing they had to cover themselves and their children were fur blankets. Fur blankets weren't cheap. So, most of the population didn't have any and they made do with what they had. Arabella forced herself not to think about the young children clinging to their parents for the least bit of warmth they could find. It was awful.

Alice and Lucy, Arabella's maids, appeared in the room not long after she rang the bell. Now, Alice was a petite girl, much like Arabella, and had identical brown hair (just not as luscious) and brown doe eyes. Lucy was different and was bigger than Alice with sun-kissed hair and cornflower blue eyes. Both of them were quiet, haven being taught not to talk to royalty unless spoken to or for greetings.

"Good morning, Princess," they both greeted, curtsying.

Arabella curtsied back and laughed when she saw their shocked faces. "Good morning to the both you two."

"Miss..." Alice trailed off with wide eyes.

The Princess put a finger to her own lips. "Shh. I know." She dropped her hand and glided to her window. "Can you two wonderful girls help me for a trip to the village?" Her maids were still in shock at her kind gesture.

Lucy nodded, her mouth still agape. "Of course."

Arabella was ready in under five minutes. She thanked the two and ran down the steps to the front gate as quickly as she could. This entire time, she's wearing heels. Ivy used to say that a girl that can run in her royalty entire should be feared, especially if she's wearing heels. The shoes would dig into the owner's foot as they sprinted, making bruises and blisters form, no doubt. But it never hurt Arabella when she ran, in a way, it made her feel powerful.