Wattpad Original
There are 22 more free parts

17. A Secret

Jessica spat her drink out of her mouth and started choking, coughing like her throat was about to be ripped out. How did he know her real name?

Jessica looked around her and sighed, realising that nobody had heard him. Not even his first mate had heard. He was too busy indulging in his whiskey and staring at Elena in deep thought.

Levi's lips parted, about to ask again, when Jessica dived forward and started attacking him to get him to shut up.

"Ow... stop it... ow... what did I... ow...do?" Levi continued to get beaten to a pulp.

Alex looked over from the corner of his eye, noticing the red-haired girl beating his captain. He shrugged, continuing to drink. His captain probably deserved it.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!"

Jessica grabbed Levi by the ear and dragged him towards a secluded part of the bar where no one could hear them and sat down at the booth.

"How do you know my real name?" She pointed at the very bruised looking Levi, who was looking cross-eyed down at her finger.

"You look like Zachary Flint," he laughed.

Jessica fell back in her seat. Her throat suddenly felt tight, her heart thudded away, and a small smile landed on her lips as she clutched onto her honey gold locket.

"You know my father?"

"I've met him once." Levi nodded. "He told me all about you."

He started telling the story of how he'd met her father. It was a funny story involving monkeys they'd accidentally let loose from a travelling circus. Jessica laughed softly; it did sound a lot like her father, or at least what she could remember of him. He always seemed to find himself caught up in awkward situations.

A blue-haired waitress appeared with a mountain of food for Levi, and he started to stuff the entire mound down his throat like a hungry wolf. Jessica laughed at his odd behaviour; he was a unique person, and she thought fondly of him. Her cheek leaned into her hand as she watched on.

Her soft laugh resonated across the bar and caught the attention of Alex. A small smirk formed on his lips as he drank his whiskey.

She has a pretty laugh, he thought.

Alex looked over at the pair. Levi, as usual, was eating, and talking with the girl. He seemed to be friends with her already. Now and then she would giggle, covering her mouth as she did so. Alex found the act cute.

The girl's honey-gold eyes flashed over in his direction, and he could feel his cheeks heat up, having been caught staring. He instantly looked away from her. What was wrong with him? He never acted like this around women, yet something about her laugh made him smile, and it was rare of him to smile. It felt odd.

"Levi, could you keep it a secret that my father is Zachary Flint? The United Islands and the Navy don't know that we're related, and it's best if they never find out. My father is a Pirate Lord, after all. So could you call me Jessica, please?"

"Sure thing, Jess! We're best friends aren't we?"

Best friends?

She hadn't had a best friend in a long time. Her last best friend died at the hands of her master when he tried to help her during one of her attempted escapes. Having a best friend sounded odd to her, but she liked the sound of it and smiled at Levi, who waited for her answer.

"Of course we are, and in thanks for keeping my secret, I'll pay for your lunch."

"Yes!" Levi cheered. "I was going to have to dine and dash otherwise. I have no cash on me. Mirella is in charge of the crew's money, and she won't let me have any more until next month."