sixteen

// SIXTEEN //

*slightly unedited*

"We've been looking through this debris for hours today, Pete. I doubt there's anything to salvage," Vanessa says still yawning from having woken up so early this morning.

From the moment we opened the bunker door, we've been looking in the piles of wood and cement. Jakub and the other bodyguards, whom I now know are called Mikhail and Angelo, went looking for signs of Simon. I was one of the key reasons why they even had hope with my wishful comments, but I was starting to lose it and quickly at that.

For now, Vanessa, Pete and I were looking through what was left of his once impressive house to salvage anything of value. Whether it was money-wise or information or just comfort, we were trying to find anything that could be of help. For now, a laptop that could possibly be fixed and a hard drive was all we found. Pete was hoping to have his papers be shielded by something throughout the tornado, but at his dismay, almost everything was gone.

"Pete. It's almost been a week and you haven't called anyone for help," I start as I still look under pieces of wood. We've been sleeping in what is left of your cars and the bunker. Jakub, Mikhail and Angelo are completely rid of any energy because of all the hour they spend in the streets. It is starting to become hopeless."

He sighs. He lets the piece of wood he once held drop to the floor.

"This is hopeless. You guys are right. We've been looking for all of our data and even Simon for five days now and we are helpless. I need to call someone."

This is my chance. I'm cooperating. I'm helping. They trust me without handcuffs. This is my opportunity to be bold.

"Maybe we," I start, adding the subtle 'we' to make my proposal seem less threatening. "Maybe we could call your partner Steven for some help? I believe Lugano was left untouched."

I hope they don't ask me how I know since I'm going to have make something up about the direction of the tornado. We don't have even have a working radio for me to blame it on the news.

Everyone stops. Even the boys, who had just returned from their night search, had stopped in front of what was left of the archway of the entrance.

"Excuse-me?" he questions. "What are you talking about?"

I look around me. I lock eyes with a tired looking Jakub with blood-shot eyes and disheveled, dusty hair. Mikhail and Angelo look the same.

"Are you guys messing with me?"

They all keep their heads down except for Pete who looks straight at me with a blank stare. He's trying to hide everything.

"Look, I know that you are working with Darius' father, Steven. I know that whatever it is you're doing to him or need from him is his father's wish as well. I do not know how he got you to work for him. I don't know why you're nice when you're supposed to be a cruel criminal. I don't know what he has against my family and I don't know what he wants from his own son. I do know that I need the truth if I am expected to help and if I know the truth, then you're free to ask him for help."

I take a breath of fresh air after my speech. I look at Vanessa who holds a slight smirk.

"She's right, sir," Jakub says calmly and clearly.

I look back at him with a slight smile that he does not give back. He keeps his eyes on Pete.

"Alright," he gives in. "You are all right. We need his help. Might as well take it if she knows everything. I'll go contact him."