Chapter 2: Ice Cream and Friends

*Ellie's POV*

For once in her life, Mack isn't home. So I couldn't discuss Mr. Stonem's phone call with her.
I guess if it was urgent I could always call Rafe.
Sighing I shut to the front door, and went to lie on the couch. "That was a bust."
The house was oddly quiet. When you have four kids you get used to loud noises, arguing, and crying. There was nothing but silence at the moment.
"What was a bust?" Nancy asked, coming from literally nowhere.
My hand automatically shot to my heart. "Jeez, Nanc, don't sneak up on me like that." I breathed out.
"Sorry, Aunt Ellie." Nancy kicked at the couch leg. "I didn't mean too."
I smiled at the eleven-year-old brunette. "It's okay, come'ere." I patted the spot next to me on the couch.
Nancy sat next to me, lying her head immediately on my shoulder. This was an action the girl had done her whole life and would probably continue to do until she couldn't anymore.
I had often had to babysit her while Mack went to school. Seeing as Mack was only seventeen and still a senior in highschool. Nancy couldn't remember not being in this apartment.
"What are you doing here anyway, kid?" I questioned after awhile, kissing the top of her head.
"You're suppose to watch me while Mom and Dad go out. Remember?" Nancy threw her arms out to the side sarcastically. She was a lot like her mom sometimes.
"I thought that was tomorrow." I replied. "Oh well, you're here now. You wanna go get ice cream?"
Nancy smiled at the mention of the cold treat. "Of course."
Nancy had a bad addiction to ice cream so she wasn't normally allowed to have it. But hey what were aunts for.
"Okay, come on, go get your jacket and I'll get your cousins." I started for Connor and Noah's room.
"Not there." Nancy stated.
"What do you mean 'not there'?" I turned to face her.
Nancy simply pointed to the counter where a piece of paper lie. "Note."
Crossing the room, I picked up the note. It was written in pink ink and had obviously been done in a hurry.

Dear Mom,
I have a life too, ya know. Noah, Con, and Ellis will be at Stefan when you get back. I'm going to meet Julette see you later.
P.S. Stefan swore he wouldn't do any drug deals while they are there. Love ~ Jan

Ugh why must she make my job hard? Couldn't she have stayed non-teenager-ish forever?
I crumbled the note quickly and tossed it in the bin. "Alright, let's go down the hall to Stefan's, shall we?" I said, grabbing my keys.
"Yes, we shall." Nancy opened the door.
The minute I knocked, a muffled voice came from behind the door. "Sorry, I'm closed for right now. You'll have to come back later." The door opened to reveal a man in his early twenties with long, shaggy hair. He looked like he was on a three day high, and hadn't showered in a week. But hey, he made a good babysitter. "Oh, hey, Nori, I'm guessing your here for your children?" Stefan said.
"That I am, Stef." I replied.
"Hi, Nancy." He waved at the small brunette.
"What's up, Stefan." Nancy high-fived him.
"Nothin' much." He chuckled. "One sec I'll get your rugrats." He disappeared and reappeared moments later with the kids.
"Mummy!" Ellis ran to me, holding her arms up.
I picked up the three-year-old blonde as Connor and Noah got their stuff.
Noah slowly came to stand beside me, her hand grabbing mine. Noah didn't like being separated from me since the incident.
"Stefan got a goldfish!" Connor exclaimed, trying hard not to look at his twin.
"He did." I laughed, looking back at Stefan. "Thanks, Stef, can I pay you?"
He waved a hand dismissively. "Nah don't need any money for ya, Nori, this guy who's buying tonight is a blind idiot who agreed to pay double." Stefan said. "Bye, kids, I gotta get ready."
"Bye, Stef!" They all said in unison.
"See ya, Nori." He began to shut the door.
"Bye." I waved.
"Did you have fun with Stefan?" I asked once everyone was safely in the car and Ellis was strapped in.
"Yeah he let us play with Tricksy." Noah answered quietly.
"Last time Tricksy bit me." Nancy remarked.
Tricksy was Stefan's police cat.
You know like the police have drug dogs? Well Stefan has a cat who can sense the cops. Being our neighborhood drug dealer and all.
I know what you're thinking: You let a drug dealer watch your kids?
Yes I do. He's a good sitter and we've been friends for years, plus he just lives down the hall from us.
"So did Janna tell either of you where her and Julette were going?" I inquired, knowing good and well one of them would answer me.
"Julette?" Connor scruncked his face up. "She's not with Jules. She went to a party with Chachi." He'd just sent his sister under the bus and didn't even mean to.
"She's so dead when she gets home." I muttered, causing Nancy-who was in the passenger seat-to laugh.
"Poor Jan." Nancy commented as we got out of the car.
"Did she say where the party was, Con?"
"Yeah she said she's was going to a party that was an hour away at some farm." Connor said.
"She also," Noah started, hitting Connor on the arm. "Said not to tell Mom."
Connor's eyes widened. "Ooh yeah." He said, holding his arm. "I forgot."
"Now you're both dead." Nancy stated with a smile.  "Janna is totally going to murder you when she gets back." She started toward the door, but stopped.
"Caleb!" She yelled, running over to her best friend.
"Nanc!" Caleb hugged her, he'd just come out of the dojo next door.
It was cute the way they acted like they hadn't seen each other in months, yet they saw each other at school. Although Caleb did live a couple towns over.
Connor and Ellis soon ran to join Nancy, Noah, however, stayed with me.
Everyone loved Caleb, even Alex liked him. He was just a nice kid, who had grown up with Nancy.
Caleb bent and picked up Ellis, whispering something to her to make her giggle.
"Hey, Caleb," Noah said as they neared us.
"Hello, No." Caleb smiled, Ellis still in his arms.
"Let's go inside before they run out of ice cream." I suggested with a small smile. "You too, Caleb. If you want that is?"
Caleb laughed. "Have you ever known me to pass up free food, Aunt Ellie?"
I laughed. "Just get in there, jokester."
Nancy began to explain to Caleb what Connor had done and he began to shake his head. "Poor kid."
"It's not my fault." Connor crossed his arms.
"What's not your fault, Con?" Alex stood a little ahead of us in line.
"Dad?"
"Hey, kid." Alex smiled at his daughter.
"I thought you and Mack were going out?" I said, cutting a few people to stand with him.
"We were, but I called into the station. So I'm getting ice cream to make up dor it." The redhead explained.
Nancy frowned, noticeably not happy about the fact he was getting ice cream without her.
Alex ordered then turned back to me. "I need to talk with you, Nori." He stated.
"I need to talk with you as well." I nodded.
"Hey, guys, why don't you go get us a table?" Alex suggested.
"Okay." They took their ice cream, and scurried off in the directions of the tables.
"I got a call from the precinct today." I started.
"So we have to talk to each other about the same thing, but I'm sure you've got more information then me since I only overheard someone talking about it."
"I guess," I shrugged.
"And what happened?" He got his ice cream and we began to walk toward the kids.
"I think we have to go back to Derry." I stated. "Jasper may be getting out of jail, and if he does he's coming after all of us. Not just me or you or Mack, but all of us." I stressed.
Alex nodded. "I agree with you one hundred percent, Nori." Alex handed Nancy her ice cream. "Listen I got to get back to work, we'll talk about this tonight when I get off with Mack, okay?"
I nodded and sat down with the kids.
I hope Janna will take the news well.