Chapter 5: London

*Connor's POV*

Noah babbled on and on about how much she wanted to see London the whole way, but I didn't mind. She was excited and that's all that matters.
Ellis rapidly and excitedly talked Nancy's ear off about seeing Uncle Rafe.
I hadn't a clue how she remembered him. Sure I remember Rafe, but Ellis was two and a half last time he came to visit. But she obviously did.
So between the two fast talking British girls no one else could get a word in edgewise.
Mom tried but neither listened.
"Goodness, it's good to get out of there." Nancy smiled, climbing out of the car behind me.
"Yeah." I agreed. "It'd be better if your heavy body wasn't relieving on me to balance."
Nancy giggled. "Sorry." She jumped all the way out of the car. "Just trying to get my ears to stop ringing."
"Yeah, I'm going to hear Ellis' high voice in my sleep tonight." I laughed.
"Not nice, Connor!" Ellis pouted.
"Really, Lis? You're getting carried by uncle Alex so don't get me that crap." I said.
"Connor!" Mom looked shocked. "Apologise now!"
I quickly apologised to the little brat then went to help Aunt Mack unload bags out of the boot and into the house.
We were staying at this cabin in the woods. But really, to say it was a cabin would be an understatement. It was more like a mansion with two stories, seven or eight bed rooms, a giant living space, garage, and anything else a house woyld have.
"You know they say it's haunted." Noah said as she came to stand beside me.
"Haunted?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Yeah, they say the ghost of Marilyn-"
"Manroe?" I interrupted.
Noah glared at me. "No. Marilyn Riley in 2008 she died of poisoning inside this very cabin. But then more recently in 2018 a teenage girl disappeared in the woods around us. She was then brutally murdered in this cabin six months later and her body washed up in the river." Noah paused, glancing up at the place in fascination. "No had has rented the place since. They say they're too afraid of the girl's ghost to stay here." She sounded excited and curious and scared all at once.
"So...." I trailed. "You're happy about this why, N?"
Mom cut in before the brunette could answer. "Kids, come inside and help us."

****

"Isn't this great!" Noah exclaimed flopping back onto a bed in the corner. "We're staying in the basement where the girl was murdered." She said loudly, her accent strong.
"Great? You have a weird sense of humour, Noah." Nancy replied. "I happen to think it's dreadful."
I didn't know how I felt. More scared than excited, I guess?

****
*Ellie's POV*

"Kids, come on we've got to go to the store and drop Ellis off at Grandma's." I called from the top of thr stairs.
Ellis was going to stay with Mum until this blows over. It was the safest idea. Noah's new found interest in 'the girl who died here' was a little troubling. The kids didn't know and they didn't need to. Maybe when they are older I'll tell them what happened.
The whole car ride to the store was silent.
We were halfway through the parking lot when someone finally spoke. "Mum?" Noah said.
"Yeah, sweetheart?"
"Do you know anything about the girl who was murdered?" She asked. "I mean since you grew up here and all."
My breath hitched, the question catching me off guard. "Um... No I don't recall anything, but at that time I was concentrating on moving." I lied. Lying never became any harder to me.
"Oh okay." Noah shrugged. "Just wondering."
We'd made it inside the store and spread out. Connor and Nancy had gone to get Mack's grocery list, as Noah, Ellis, and I to get ours.
"No, Ellis." Noah took the cookies from the younger girl's hands. "We don't need cookies."
"But everyone needs cookies!" Ellis contradicted.
"No, Lis, cookies are not needed." Noah shook her head. "Cookies-"
A new voice cut in. "Yo, little British girl, let her eat all the cookies she wants."
Noah whipped around, her arms crossed, ready to snap at whomever had just spoke. Ellis beat her to it though.
"Uncle Rafe!" Ellis exclaimed, running to him.
Rafe bent to pick her up. "You look just like your mother." He told Noah. "Same scary, mean look."
"I look nothing like her." Noah rolled her eyes.
"It's good to see you." I hugged him. "Where's Levi?"
My question was soon answered when Connor came into view with another boy. Both looking happy to see the other.
"Mom, look I found Levi." Connor said excitedly.
Levi and Connor were very good friends despite how often they saw each other.
"Hey, Aunt Ellie." Levi waved.
The minute he saw Noah he grinned. "Hello, Noah." He greeted sweetly.
"Levi." Noah responded.
"Can I steal your mother for a second, kids?" Rafe asked looking at the kids.
Connor nodded for him and Noah as he took Ellis from Rafe's arms.
Rafe pulled me aside away from the curious ears of our children.
"Why are you here?" He questioned concerned.
"Well, I got a call a couple years ago and then the same call yesterday." I rambled. "The point is Jasper wants to kill us all and is about to get out of jail." I tried not to look at him as I told the awful news.
"You're joking, El." Rafe said, laughing slightly. "Tell me it's a joke and really you just came to visit."
"I wish I could." I glanced back at the kids. "I wish I could for them. Does Levi know?"
Rafe shook his head. "I plan to never tell him."
"Good plan. That was mine until as of late." We started back for the kids.
"Why? What happened?"
"We're staying at the cabin." I stated, watching as he shivered. "And Noah is fascinated by the story around it."
"Not good. Not good at all." Rafe agreed.
"What's not good?" Levi easedropped.
"Your aunt and I have someone to go see." Rafe replied. "And I didn't know what to do with you while we're gone."
"We can't go with you?" Noah asked.
"Sorry, honey, but it's adult business. You'll stay with Janna for a little bit." I sighed. "Come on let's pay and get Ellis to Grandma's."
"I will see you tonight." Rafe said gesturing for Levi to come.
"See ya."

****

"I should be back in two days, alright?" I kissed Connor and then Noah. "Alex had to go back to work and Mack is coming with us. So Janna will be looking after you." I explained.
Noah caught my arm. "Do you have to go?" She asked, her voice small and quiet.
I nodded. "But I'll be back. I promise."
She nodded as Connor wrapped his arm around her, comforting her.
"Just be good for Jan." With one last look I shut the door.

####################
This chapter sucked I'm sorry. - Izzy