Chapter 7: Finally Getting Somewhere

*Noah's POV*

The minute we got up to leave, I went to the counter. "Are you Jimmy?" I asked the brunette on the other side.
"That's me, and who might you be?" Jimmy replied. He looked about Mum's age so perfect to ask.
"Talia said you know about the Morrison Cabin murder." I said. "I was wondering if you could tell me about it."
"I don't know," Jimmy seemes to be thinking about it.
"Please?" I blurted out. "No one else will tell me anything."
"Well-"
"Noah!" Connor's raised voice cut Jimmy off.
I rolled my eyes. "What, Con?" I turned to face him.
"Don't bother the man." Nancy answered for him.
I rolled my eyes again. "I'm not a little baby."
"You're acting like one right now, Noah." Connor countered.
"Shove off, Connor." I turned back to Jimmy, who nodded his head to the right.
I followed him into the back area, Connor and Nancy close behind.
"I could get in serious trouble for talking about this." Jimmy started. "But you reminded me of her when you spoke to them so ask away." He took a seat at the table in the back gesturing for us to do the same.
"Let's start with why were you involved? What'd she do to you?" I asked, as we sat.
"She has done nothing to me, but my...." He trailed off. "My friend had a problem with her. You see he was the BMOC of our school and she was the bad boy's prized possession. So Todd thought she should be his, but she turned him down. To make it worse she turned him down in front of his 'friends'. No one turned him down." He paused. "So he vowed to get back at her." He stopped.
"So this bad boy?" Nancy said, leaning forward.
"He was the worst until she moved here. Slowly after time she calmed him a bit, but never completely for she was crazier than he, more fearless. Or so the story goes. All the group's names are still spray painted inside the Twila Train Station where they used to hang out." Jimmy answered her.
"Okay, okay, back to the story." Connor ushered. It seemed he was now curious as well.
"Okay so one day this man came to Todd and I asking for our help in kidnapping her. Todd being so fed up agreed immediately, and I went wherever he went. So we kidnapped the girl. She was seventeen, we were nineteen. I had no clue what we were doing would lead to murder at the time." He paused again, a far away look in his eyes. "One day it'd been about six months and we were chaining her back up in the cellar. She was telling us how stupid we were for helping the main man, that it would only lead to prison. I freaked out after she said that and left." His voice faltered. "A few weeks later I learned of her murder. Some ruled it as suicide, but I knew better. So when Todd called me I wasn't surprised. He needed help getting rid of the body. So I went because he was my best friend. We dumped her body in the lake where it washed up a couple months later."
"On the shore of Miller's Hideout." I commented.
Jimmy nodded gravely.
"What was her name?" Nancy asked. "No one ever says her name."
"I promised never to say it again." Jimmy shuttered. "Sometimes I feel like she's haunting me. She asked me one time to help her, but-"
"Jimmy!" It was the waitress from earlier. "Stop telling ghosts stories and scaring the kids. Do you want to be banned like that crazy dude?" She snapped. "Get back to work." With that she turned on her heels and walked back out.
Jimmy sighed and got up. "You wanna know the whole story? Every last detail?" He asked.
All three of us nodded.
I'm sworn by someone who will carry out the threat of killing me if I talk about it. So obviously I can't tell you all of it, but I know someone who can."
"Who?" Connor inquired.
"His name is Magnus. Magnus O'Malley. He lives on the outskirts of town. Everyone calls him 'the town crazy person' because for the longest time he argued that she wasn't dead, but like everyone he soon accepted it. He knows more about the murder than anyone. It haunts him day and night. He's the only one who still says her name aloud." Jimmy took a piece of paper and wrote on the back of it. "This is his address. He'll tell you everything, kid." He handed the paper to me, looking long and hard at me. "You favor her, y'know, the girl." Uttering those few words quietly, Jimmy left.
We all stood there stunned for a second, all of us taking in the new information.
"I think we should go see him." I decided finally, looking down to the best handwriting.
Odd not many guys have good handwriting Dad didn't, and Connor's is terrible.
"Are you crazy?" Connor asked, but I could hear it in his voice. The excitement and curiosity of a new mystery to solve.
"She might be insane, but I agree we should go." Nancy nodded in agreement. "I also wanna check out this Twila train station."
"Then we go." Connor made up his mind. "Not today because it's dark already, but tomorrow."
Nancy and I nodded in agreement.
We left the diner shortly after and made our way home.
I couldn't help but wonder what Jimmy meant by I looked like her. Although I'd never seen a picture of her so I wouldn't know.
I hope Mum is doing better at her task than us.

The plot thickens