chapter one.

C/W: future mention of self harm and things and thoughts of that nature. If those subjects hit too close to home for you, please skip over those parts or this chapter.

When Orion entered the world, the first thing the doctors did was insert the chip into her left wrist. They insert it carefully with a device that will most certainly not hurt the baby one bit. Same with Jack too, even though it did hurt him a bit which made Orion feel the same pain and caused both of them to cry even more. After they both received their chips, their first marking gradually appeared within seconds: a vertical line.

At first, Jack lived in California for a while and Orion lived in Norristown, Pennsylvania. But when Jack moved to Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, a new marking appeared: a horizontal line right on top of the vertical line. At first, Orion was confused as she watched it appear on her skin. She quickly ran inside and to show her dads, to which they sat down and tried their best to explain the whole idea of the mysterious lines to their six year old. With Jack, he didn't do anything. He just shrugged it off as if it were nothing. He ran his finger on top of the lining and never really bothered with it again.

At age 8, Jack hurt his knee learning to skateboard. It started bleeding, had some skin scrapped off but not too much, which caused him to cry hysterically outside in his driveway. He cried for his mum and she soon came, carrying little Jack to the kitchen to clean him up. While everything was happening, Orion felt the same pain from ninety-seven miles away. She was sitting in the living room with her one dad watching 6teen, secretly wishing she was sixteen so her life could be just like theirs. In the middle of the show, she sucked in a deep breath with the word "ouch" coming out of her mouth when she breathed out. She reached down and rubbed her knee, then felt tears fall from her cheeks. She quickly wiped them away and laid back again and continued to watch the show. Her dad didn't bother asking her what happened, he knew it had to do with her soulmate.

Growing up, Orion was bullied a lot. She was a little more on the chubbier side and had straight black hair with bangs covering her forehead; her dads though she looked adorable with them. At the age of eleven, she had started to self harm. She stopped eating for a while, she brought razors to her arms, thighs, and tummy every night, and Jack would feel those pain inflicted wounds, too. He always felt that sharp pain on skin in places, and was confused since it would happen at night when he was trying to sleep. He felt her pain, too. He would feel all the negativity she was feeling and it would make him sad. Eventually, the feelings would fade but he was confused with his soulmate. Why were they feeling so much pain?

At thirteen, Orion moved from Norristown, Pennsylvania to Fountain Hill, Pennsylvania. While Orion was unpacking her boxes and setting her clothes up in her closet, she felt a tingle on her wrist. She stopped what she was doing, looked down at her wrist, and noticed a new marking appearing. It was, yet another, vertical line at the end of the horizontal line. She thought since she had just moved, maybe her soulmate lived in the same city; but she was wrong. She only moved three minutes closer to Susquehanna, Pennsylvania. But she got closer, so that makes for a new marking.

Jack didn't notice the marking till later, internally freaking out about his soulmate. If they're closer, does that mean that I passed by them today? Does it mean they live near me now? Those type of questions kept racing through his mind, causing him to lose sleep that night. He just wanted to find his soulmate already. At night, he would fall asleep with the fingertips on his right hand very lightly grazed over his left wrist. He would still feel the pain, sometimes on his stomach too. He worried about his soulmate so much it almost kept him up till seven in the morning everyday. He hoped whatever was happening with them, that it would stop eventually. He's been saying that for the past two years now, and he's praying that it does come true one day.