Prologue

Alphonse smiled slightly as he pointed to one of the guitars on the wall. "That one," he said. It was simple but beautiful; a deep, rich color and with a gloss that showed it had been well cared for, it had immediately caught Alphonse's attention.

The store attendant smiled as well and carefully pulled the guitar down and handed it to Al.

"Give me just a moment while I get you a case and some picks, all right?" She said pleasantly, and Alphonse hummed in agreement, absently plucking lightly at the string.

E, B, G, D, A, and then high E.

It was perfect.

It had been so long since he had heard the music one could draw forth from this instrument, and he knew only one person who could bring forth those sounds with ease.

His brother.

The attendant returned and helped him put the guitar into the case, explaining that there were extra strings and picks in a small compartment on the front of the case.

He nodded, smiling charmingly at her as he paid and left the store.

Still smiling, he put the guitar carefully into the backseat of the car he had borrowed from Mustang in order to get his gift for Ed.

After all, Ed was turning twenty-one in a week, and Al wanted to get his brother something special for this birthday, especially since Edward couldn't perform alchemy anymore.

Satisfied with his purchase, he got in behind the wheel and drove to Mustang's house, where the man had said he would keep Al's gift until Ed's birthday.

--264 Words--

More to come, don't worry ^-^ This is a 1:30 in the morning idea that came out of nowhere while I was listening to When I'm Gone by 3 Doors Down, so you can bet that that'll make an appearance later on. ~The_Sin_Pride