Chapter One

Somehow, Alphonse and Roy had managed to get the guitar over to Gracia's house without being seen by Edward, who had been coerced into helping Gracia with the dishes.

It was finally Edward's birthday--and Elysia's, but her present was easier to get into the apartment--and although Ed had grumbled about doing dishes on his birthday, it was only halfhearted and said with a slight smile.

Roy and Al had found a decent sized box and had packed the guitar into it, arguing all the while between themselves over if they should wrap the box or not.

They settled on no, as it would really just be more work.

Now it stood out amongst the piles of gifts, a plain cardboard box with Roy and Al's name written carefully on the side, and 'For Edward' written on the front.

--

Edward was in disbelief.

He held the guitar in his hands, looking at the instrument.

Al was positively beaming at him, and Roy had a soft smile on his face. The rest of Mustang's team as well as Gracia were looking at him curiously. They had had no idea that Edward had had any interest in music or instruments until now, but the way the blond held it, like it was a treasure, spoke easily what Ed didn't seem to be able to.

Swallowing slightly, he looked at Al and Roy, as if he were looking for permission.

When Al nodded, Ed closed his eyes slightly and exhaled shakily. He hadn't expected to get anything like this. And he hadn't played in so long...would he even remember how..?

But now Elysia was interested, having looked up from admiring her new toys. "Big brother, can you play for me?" She asked curiously.

Ed blinked.

Could he?

He could.

So he would.

But what?

And then it came to him.  With a soft smile, he fumbled with one of the picks before his fingers fell easily into place.

As he began to lightly pluck at the strings, he smiled slightly.

He hadn't ever expected to play again when he and Al had burnt down their house.

"Well you only need the light when its burning low, only miss the sun when it starts to snow, only know you love her when you let her go..." He sang quietly, more in his own world now that he was focused on the beautiful shifting from note to note, string to string, fret to fret.

He missed Al's slightly watery eyes and happy smile as he commented to Roy. "He hasn't played or sung anything in years..."

And that comment caused everyone in the room who had been close enough to hear to gawk at Ed.

"Only know you've been high when you're feeling low, only hate the road when you're missing home, only know you love her when you let her go...and you let her go." Ed was a bit louder this time, more confident. His fingers moved surely over the strings, and Elysia was positively beaming.

"Staring at the bottom of your glass, hoping one day you'll make a dream last, but dreams come slow and they go so fast..."

His gaze turned distant. Thoughtful in nature. "You see her when you close your eyes. maybe one day you'll understand why everything you touch only dies. But you only need the light when it's burning low, only miss the sun when it starts to snow, only know you love her when you let her go.

"Only know you've been high when you're feeling low, only hate the road when you're missing home, only know you love her when you let her go..."

Al knew that this was probably one of the songs Edward had written over the years while they were searching for the stone. It was a small hobby Edward had had, writing songs with ease and destressing by doing so.

"Staring at the ceiling in the dark, same old empty feeling in your heart, 'cause love comes slow, and it goes so fast. Well you see her when you fall asleep, but never to touch and never to keep, 'cause you loved her too much and you dived too deep...

" Well you only need the light when its burning low, only miss the sun when it starts to snow, only know you love her when you let her go. Only know you've been high when you're feeling low, only hate the road when you're missing home, only know you love her when you let her go..."

"And you let her go, oh-woah-oh, oh no...and you let her go. oh-woah-oh, oh no...and you let her go....

"'Cause you only need the light when it's burning low, only miss the sun when it starts to snow, only know you love r when you let her go. Only know you've been high when you're feeling low, only hate the road when you're missing home, only know you love her when you let her go.

"'Cause you only need the light when its burning low, only miss the sun when it starts to snow, only know you love her when you let her go..." The song was winding down, coming to an end.

"Only know you've been high when you're feeling low...only hate the road when you're missing home...only know you love her when you let her go...and you let her go..." He trailed off, his hands having had stilled on the strings moments before he sang the last notes.

The room was silent for a moment, before Elysia commented. "That was really pretty, big brother!"

There was instant agreement as Edward blushed slightly, realizing he had not only just played in front of Mustang and his team, but he had sung as well.

"Er...thanks, Elysia." He smiled awkwardly before he saw the glimmer of tears on his brother's smiling face.

And he smiled back.

Because his playing had made Al happy.

"Good job, Ed. Never heard that song before, where'd you get it from?" Breda queried, seeming genuinely interested.

Ed blushed more. "Uh...I...I wrote it..." He mumbled, and there was a general look of disbelief on most everyone in the rooms faces.

Roy recovered quickly. "Well, seems like the Fullmetal shrimp is good at something besides fighting. Never would have guessed it."

Ed growled. "Shut it, Mustang!"

--1067 Words--

Uhm...Passenger's Let Her Go is a long time favorite of mine, so of course he had to sing it. The 'her' in the song would be Winry, as he never got to visit and have a normal relationship with her when he was searching for the stone. Also, in this fic, it is not EdWin. Not. Ed thought that he wouldn't make Winry happy as he would always put Alphonse first, so in this, Winry is with another automail mechanic.
    That should be it for now, see you in the next chapter! ~The_Sin_Pride