Chapter Two

Despite his earlier confidence and ability to play, Edward was now aimlessly plucking at the strings.

The party had since wound down,  and Edward's current state of mind was more of a nervous excitement than anything.

Alphonse was amazing for getting him this. He would have to get him something extra special for his next birthday. Or just randomly, out of the blue.

Either would work.

But for now, his fingers lightly brushed over the strings, memorizing them once again as his molten gold eyes stared at the instrument.

And slowly, quietly, he started to play.

He transitioned between notes from strumming with his fingers to with the pick, and a easy smile crossed his lips. He had missed this.

"There's another world inside of me that you may never see,
There's secrets in this life that I can't hide. Somewhere in this darkness there's a light that I can't find. Maybe it's too far away, maybe I'm just blind.

"Maybe I'm just blind..." He sighed softly.

"So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong, hold me when I'm scared and love me when I'm gone. Everything I am, and everything in me, wants to be the one you wanted me to be!

"I'll never let you down, even if I could, I'd give up everything if only for your good. So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong.

"You can hold me when I'm scared you won't always be there
So love me when I'm gone, love me when I'm gone..."

Ed found himself having to blink back tears.

He had written this particular song after a violent nightmare of several things, ranging from his mother's death, the failed transmutation, Truth, Nina and Alexander's death, and his brother's armor, motionless as its soul was pulled back to the gate.

"When your education x-ray cannot see under my skin; I won't tell you a damn thing that I could not tell my friends.
And roaming through this darkness I'm alive but I'm alone...
Part of me is fighting this but part of me is gone!

"So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong. Hold me when I'm scared and love me when I'm gone. Everything I am, and everything in me, wants to be the one you wanted me to be!

"I'll never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good. So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong, you can hold me when I'm scared, you won't always be there, so love me when I'm gone..."

Two singular tear drops fell from his eyes, and he grit his teeth lightly before letting an almost relieved smile on to his face.

"Maybe I'm just blind..."

"So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong, hold me when I'm scared, and love me when I'm gone. Everything I am, and everything in me, wants to be the one you wanted me to be!

"I'll never let you down, even if I could, I'd give up everything if only for your good. So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong.
You can hold me when I'm scared, you won't always be there, so love me when I'm gone..."

"Love me when I'm gone, whoa. Love me when I'm gone, when I'm gone. When I'm gone, when I'm gone..."

The last notes faded away, and Ed almost sheepishly wiped his eyes from the moisture that has collected there.

Although he didn't actually have an audience, he knew that he had probably been loud enough to be heard throughout the apartment.

And then the bastard walked in.

Mustang had stayed to help clean up the after party mess, but he seemed to have decided to bother Ed instead.

"You know, have you ever thought about performing?" Mustang raised an eyebrow.

If Edward would have been drinking something, he would have spat of out in shock.

"What the hell type of drug are you on, bastard?" Ed nearly shouted, eyes wide. Perform? Him?  The man had to be insane.

"None as far as I know. But Edward, hear me out on this. It's something you seem to enjoy, and you're good at it. Even if its just on the street, what would it be other than a fun way for you to earn spare money? I wasn't suggesting a giant concert or anything." Mustang said calmly.

Ed glared, although he was considering it halfheartedly. With a sarcastic snort, he rolled his eyes and muttered a whatever.

Roy, instead of taking the hint and leaving, draped himself over the chair across from Ed. "So, when did you write that one?" He queried with a slightly quirked eyebrow.

Ed glared. "Right after the Promised Day, now can you go?"

"Mm...play something for me." Roy said, smirking.

"No."

"Why not?" Roy leaned forward, resting his elbows on his legs and intertwining his fingers before resting his chin on them. "Scared, Fullmetal?"

"You wish," Ed snarled, eyes burning furiously at the accusation.

"Then play." Black met gold, one calm, the other burning, before the first notes began to sound.

--868 Words--

Shorter chapter, but still! Hope you enjoyed! (EDIT: Did anyone catch the reference??) ~The_Sin_Pride