Man's Best Friend

Emma was at her breaking point. With no word from her cousin and the riot just outside the shop, she didn't know what to do, or how they were going to get back to the house. She could tell everyone inside was on edge, waiting anxiously for a riot that was nowhere near finished.

Chris is back at the window, watching the people outside. "Chris," Travis calls from across the room when he notices his son flinch from something outside, "I told you to stop looking."

"Some guy, he was- he was messed up, Dad."

Emma tugs on Chris' sleeve to get him to turn away from the window. When she gets his attention she tugs more firmly, and he sits down with a huff, giving her a playful glare. They lean against each other, trying to get comfortable on the very uncomfortable waiting chairs. Out of the corner of her eye, Emma can see Liza watching them with a wide smile on her face, and Emma can't help the embarrassed flush that creeps its way across her face.

//

"What was that sound?" Alicia asked from her spot at the window. Despite her mother's warning, she continues to peek between the blinds, wanting to know what was going on outside.

"I don't know, but it's gone now," Madison says, walking over to Nick to give him the glass of water in her hands. He takes it, and immediately uses it to crush the pills, "why can't you just swallow them?"

"They take too long to absorb, I'm not there yet."

"These are meant to wean off of the pills not to get you-"

"Who's the expert?" Madison gets up at that, and Rylee watches the frustration grow on her face just before she turns away. "Hey mom, I need more."

"No shit. Later."

"How much do we have?"

"We have enough to get you east, don't worry."

"And then?"

"And then you'll howl at the moon." Nick looks away then, "Look, Travis will be here, we'll go."

"You sure?"

"Nick," Alicia says from the window, turning to glare at him.

"He's coming," Madison cuts in before they can start anything. She walks away then, and Rylee leans against Nick and watches as he goes back to crushing his pills.

//

Travis and Liza are sat next to Emma, who is still trying and failing to text her cousin.

"As soon as this settles down, we move," Travis watches Chris pace around the room, "go back the way we came, get to the truck, and we're gone."

"Are we going to Madison's after this?" Chris asks unhappily, as if he already know what the answer is going to be.

"Yeah."

"Why can't we leave? Just us."

"Chris..." Before Liza could start reasoning with her son, there is banging and glass shattering from the wall behind Liza, startling her into jumping out of her chair.

"Damn it," Liza says, everyone else gets up to stand around the wall as the banging and crashing continues.

"They're breaking in," Ofelia says, walking over to Liza and Travis.

"What?"

"They're breaking in next door."

Travis goes over to the front door to try and get a better look. "Well, we're safe in here. They won't come in."

"How do you know?" Liza interjects, looking just as anxious and Emma feels.

"What are they gonna steal, combs? The police will have this sorted in an hour, two tops."