Chapter 4: Warm Welcome

El 

Placing one foot in front of the other, its easier said than done when thousands of pairs of eyes are watching you. My wolf puffed her chest out, proud and strong. The scents of different packs making their way to my nose, I knew this was one of the biggest gatherings there has been in a while, the smells confirmed it. Goddess please grant me the strength to get through this night.

The Alphas table... a long table, much like a top table at a wedding, the only difference being we don't face out towards the other tables. My brothers Rafe and Will sitting side by side, Rafe immediately to the reigning Alphas right, and to his right Will. The only seats not filled were the head of the table, my dad's seat and his Left hand seat. the Luna's seat. My seat for tonight. 'Breathe you fool' my mind shouted. There was one last seat left empty, that added seat for Blood moon. I knew it. My brothers stood and greeted me and my dad before dad pulled my chair out, a symbolic gentlemanly thing to do in human culture but in wolf culture it was reserved really for mates, and of course higher up female wolves. I smiled at my dad and took my seat as he slide it gently in to meet the back of my calves. I had flattened the back of my beautiful dress, making sure not to crease or ruin it. My dad took to his place at the head of the table. Puffing his chest out, looking strong and proud he addressed the packs.

"Welcome." My dads voice was loud, assertive and powerful. Reaching all the corners of the gigantic marquee.

"I am happy to have so many packs with us this year as we celebrate out annual gathering. It has been quite some time since the Grey Wolf pack has had the honour of hosting this momentous and prosperous gathering. This year there is more packs than ever joining us. All in hope of finding mates for their pack members who have not found theirs yet, but also to socialise and form alliances. Close knit bonds will form over the coming week, with mates being found but also friendships being made. As Alpha of Grey Wolf, I ask that you keep quarrels to a minimum and challenges within Packs. Any challenge upon someone from outside your pack will be subject to the two packs Alpha's approvals. This is the law. Any of those who challenge outside their pack and continue without permission will face the consequences of their actions, in line with my authority. Your Alpha will have no say in your punishment, this has been agreed within meetings. This is usual procedure for those who have not been to a gathering before, the hosting Alpha has dominion over punishments. Be warned, my pack is ran fair and true. We will not tolerate troublemakers. Keep your nose clean and abide by my packs rules and we shall have a wonderful gathering. I thank you all for your attendance. As I can see some have found their mates already, others are still curious. Be respectful of each other, some may need time to adjust to their mate or the idea of having a mate. This week will allow you all to get to know each other. Any mating should be kept private. It is one of our laws here in Grey Wolf, other packs may differ, here the rule stands for all packs on my land. The law will be enforced, no matter what your rank is. Marking of one another can be public. Males and females alike have to ask permission for the marking of their mate. Many may find the laws of Grey Wolf different from their pack laws but once again I remind you, your Alpha has agreed to these terms. I understand he has briefed your pack. Understand once again, I will not shy away from punishing anyone who breaks the rules and laws set down by my pack. We, all ranks of wolves in this pack abide by them, as will you when you are on my land. Now enough of the formalities and rules. This gathering is about peace and cooperation. So lets eat before our wolves grow even more hungry. Begin."

My dad chuckled as he knew many wolves were becoming impatient and the adolescents were struggling to hold back from eating the mountain of food in front of them. As soon as he had sat down, the youngsters hands shot out, gathering food from the centre of the tables. I couldn't help but laugh to myself. A adolescent wolf was almost always hungry. In human and wolf form. A side effect of turning and the metabolism changing to that of the wolf inside. Lost in thought, I had forgotten to eat. Rafe nudged me under the table, concerned at the lack of food on my plate. I kicked him back as I took a steak from the plate in front of us, making him nearly spill his wine down his shirt. Biting back a smile, I looked down the table at all the Alpha's and their Luna's. A very powerful line up, strong bodied men, toned and tanned and beautiful and goddess looking women. You could have mistaken them for movie stars or models. The product of the Goddess choosing the right mates for each one.