Chapter 8: Big Brothers

I watched my dad leave the kitchen. I knew this wasn't going to be good. I sat there contemplating disappearing for a while. I could just go for a run and come back when I felt better about myself and the situation. Sadly, I knew it would cause more harm than good, I'd rather not have the whole of the gathering looking for me.

I moved to the sink and washed my dad's plate and slowly dried it. The longer I put the conversation off the more my wolf became agitated. She was already pacing my mind, itching to see her Alpha. She nudged my closer to the door. I know what she wanted, I was just afraid of what questions lay behind my dad's sold oak door. Placing the plate by in the cupboard I swallowed by nerves and exited the kitchen.

I was greeted with familiar scents, others strange, and sounds of wolves chatting and pups playing. We weren't very social, pack mentality and all that. This gathering gave us an opportunity to make new friends and allies. I was pulled out of my thoughts as a pup ran straight into my legs, colliding with my knee and sending a shockwave through my leg into my toes. I looked down to see him, rubbing his forehead his little lip quivering as his cheeks became a rosy red colour. He looked up, tears beginning to rush forward. He must have been around three years old, maybe slightly older, unknown to me. I spoke first as I knew sooner or later the tears will start to fall.

"Hi, my names Evelyn. What's yours?" I smiled softly and held out my hand. He looked at it with curiosity, still rubbing his head where a red mark began to flush, he replied "My name is Colton. I'm three and 4 months old." I bent down to him and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you Colton, I'm sorry my knee hurt your head." I ran my left thumb over the red mark that had now grown into a slight bump. "Where's your mummy? I think we should go and see if she can make it better." I smiled as his face lit up. "She's this way!" without another word he had me by the hand and I was being pulled through the pack house. My mind wandered as he took me through a myriad of wolves. Some pack members, some not. I was happy to see so many packs coming together and getting along. We exited the pack house and soon we were heading out towards a large gathering of females, with one panic stricken one sitting in the middle. Clearly little Colton hadn't told his mother he was going on an adventure. I smiled thinking of all the times Micah and I caused a fright because we decided to go off on our owns. He began to slow down but held my hand in a vice grip as he neared the group. He pushed his way through the females, dragging me with him. I gave an apologetic look to the wolves I had hit on the way through. Soon we were standing behind a shewolf who must have been four or five months pregnant.

"Mummy why are you upset?" Colton asked, still attached to me. His mother lifted herself out of the chair she had been given, relief washed over her face then panic. Why was she panicking again? I then realised she was panicking because of me. I knelt down and whispered to him, "I think your Mummy was worried about you. You should go and give her a big hug." No sooner has I spoken the words than Colton had bolted to his mother and was hugging her legs tightly.

"I'm sorry Mummy. I followed the big boys and got lost so I went exploring and then was in a house and it was like our house but not. I was running around, and I bumped into this lady and hurt my head." He pointed to the slightly bruised left corner of his forehead. "Then the nice lady said I should get you to make it better so I followed your smell back to you. I brought the nice lady too. She has a sore leg because I ran into her, so I thought you could make it better for her too." He smiled triumphantly as he finished his explanation. For such a little pup he certainly could tell a story. Most of the females were staring in shock and awe as he pointed to me. "That's the nice lady I ran into." He came over to me and reached for my hand to bring me to his mother, who now realised who I was and began to try and form words.

I smiled, "Colton seems to have explained what happened better than I could. He has a knack for storytelling."

I saw her relax a bit, "That he does." She ruffled his hair. "I hope he wasn't too much trouble Luna. I should have kept a better eye on him... it's just this one seems to know we aren't on our lands and is acting up." She rubbed her swollen belly. A tinge of pain shot through me. Was I jealous? Oh god. I shook that feeling away.

"Just Evelyn. I was acting Luna for my father. Don't worry, if you need anything. A more comfortable room for you and the baby, please just ask. We are more than happy to help."

"Thank you Lu... Evelyn. I'll be sure to ask and I'll let my Alpha know of your kindness." She smiled brightly at me. I wondered who her Alpha was. I couldn't place her scent. I knelt on the ground and beckoned Colton to me. He looked nervously at his mother now, after realising who I was. He saw his mother smile and nod. He made his way over to me slowly.

"Now, You have to pinkie promise not to worry your mummy like that again." I looked at him with a stern expression.

He nodded, "I promise"

I held out my right pinkie and he stared at it confused by the gesture. I lifted his right hand and showed him now to 'pinkie promise' his face lit up. "Pinkie Promise Evelyn".

While our pinkies were locked, I saw him look to his mother and then to her belly. "Are you excited to be a big brother Colton?"

He looked at the ground like he was ashamed, and shyly shook his head. His mother looked worried as she watched her son. I lifted his chin gently, moving my head to catch his gaze.

"Well, you wouldn't believe it Colton but I have six big brothers." I held up my fingers and his eyes widened. "Can you keep a secret?" I smiled as he nodded very enthusiastically. I hadn't noticed the growing crowd around us. I think my big brothers are the best. They took care of me when I was as little as you are. And they still do now."

Colton looked shocked, "But you're a big person. Do you think I could be like your big brothers?"

"Of course! I'm very sure you could. I'm also very sure that that little baby is super excited to meet his or her big brother and learn lots of fun things from him." I nodded towards his mother. She was smiling with tears swelling in her eyes. "Maybe before you leave you can meet some of my brothers and ask them what it's like?" He looked up at me and launched himself into my arms. Taken back with his sudden closeness I froze but soon came to my senses and hugged him back. He finally released me and ran to his mother. I stood up, realising the group of shewolves had grown quite a lot since I first made my way through.

The realisation hit me that I had spent so much time returning Colton to his mother I had forgotten about my dad. I was in so much trouble, I knew I had to make a swift exit and make sure that I made it back as soon as I could. I excused myself and ran back to the house weaving through the various clusters of wolves.

Taking the stairs two at a time, I finally made it to my dads' office. I blew out a breath and shook myself before I moved to knock his door. The door opened. I knew I was in for it, but a different face peered down at me. One I hadn't seen before but exuded power. An Alpha? What Alpha? My dad stood behind this tower of a wolf. I heard may dad say something as he slapped wolfs back. He finally noticed me and smiled.

"It took you long enough El. Thought you might have disappeared on a run."

"Of course not, Alpha. I ended up meeting a little pup and had to make sure he was returned to his mother." I replied respectfully. It felt very formal with this wolf looking at me curiously. I felt his eyes burning into my skin. It felt like he was trying to work me out. Who I was, why I was summoned to the Alpha's office.