Chapter 29

I scream as I wake up. I sit up, and feel a hand on my back. I flinch away, getting out of bed.

My breathes are heavy, and sweat collects on the back of my neck.

I see Tobias sit up; his eyes are still half closed with sleep.

"Tris, what's wrong?" He grabs my wrist.

I sit back down, and he puts his hand on my shoulder. I lean into his side, trying to calm myself.

"Tris." He says, quietly. "What happened?"

"Nightmare." I whisper. Tears are collecting, and I don't want them to spill over.

"And? What about it?" He asks.

I know he just wants to make me feel better, let it out, but I don't want to.

"I-it was about Peter, and, and he just walked up to me and like, just kissed me, and wouldn't stop and then you came in and wouldn't let me explain, and broke up with me and..." My voice trails off.

"You know I would never do that." He says.

He sits for a minute, then wraps his long fingers around my chin, lifting my head for a kiss.

I kiss back, and he holds my face, firmly, with his grip never faltering. His fingertips slides down my cheeks, to my jaw, to arms. I don't complain, as I run my fingers through his hair. His hands find the bottom of my shirt, and slide under it.

I feel insecure of my flat chest, and try to pull away. It doesn't work.

"Tobias." I mange to say.

He breaks away, too quickly. He sits, looking straight forward, afraid he went too far. I put my face in my hands.

"I'm sorry." He says,

"No, it's just..." I'm don't know how to word it.

I just slide my arms around him, and bury my face into his neck. He quickly wraps his hands around my back, clutching tightly. We stay that way, for a while, the silence becoming comfortable and the darkness surrounding us.

~~~

That afternoon, while I work in the Tattoo Parlor, Uriah comes in with Marlene.

"We want our names on each other's wrist." Uriah says, smiling, just as Marlene is.

"Awww. I'll get Tori, so you guys can get them together." I say.

I find Tori and we get started. I do Marlene, and find the best font to do. It's a cursive, but has a Dauntless edge to it. I start on her wrist, as she holds Uriah's hand.

After half an hour, we're done.

"Thank you!" Marlene says, walking out.

Tori smiles at me. "How come you and Four haven't done that?" He asks.

"I don't know, but we should." I say, putting away tools.

"Who should do what?" I hear a voice say.

I spin around to see Tobias. He takes me hand and kisses my cheek.

"Uri and Mar came in a little while ago to get each other's names." Tori explains.

"Maybe another time." I say. "I'm really hungry."

"Okay, I'll meet you there. I need to talk to Tori." Tobias says.

I nod, and walk out. When I get in the dining hall, none of my friends are there yet, so I sit at our table, alone.

Suddenly, Peter sits across from me. I tense, and move into a position where I will be able to leave immediately.

"I need to explain something, then you can leave." He says.

"Well get on with it." I say, irritated.

"I really like you. I didn't mean to make you hate me so much, I was just making sure you wouldn't suspect my feelings."

I'm angry. "Really, Peter? Because you kidnapping me and trying to kill me prove otherwise!"

"The other initiates would have been suspicious if I hadn't! Plus, it was Al's idea!" He exclaims. "Four threw knives at you, and you aren't holding it against him."

"He had to! You didn't have to hang me over the chasm and taunt me. You chose to. Don't think I could just forget about that." I say.

I walk out, frustrated, but happy I was able to speak my thoughts.

My feet take me to the chasm, where I sit, watching the river roar past me. I hear footsteps and see Tobias sit next to me.

"I have something for you." He says.

"Oh?" I ask.

He holds his hand out, revealing a necklace with a '4+6' on a silver chain.

I smile, and he puts it on me.

"I love it. Thank you." I say, not able to fully push the smile from my face. Not that I'd want to, though. "I love you.

He kisses me, but pulls away for a second.

"I love you, too."

A/N: That wraps up part one! The 'second part' will be a few weeks before initiation, because Tris' birthday is before it, and she never had a birthday 'party.' (not giving away too many spoilers!) Thank you for so much feedback, and I love suggestions and things. Also, thank you to those who have always been voting, and commenting. You are the reason I'm continuing! Stay tooned! <4