Chapter 38

I finish off the fights the next morning, and go to the training room early. I mainly just stare off into space, but after a few initiates come in, I start writing the names on the board.

Nate vs. Jeremy

Jenna vs. Julia

Tania vs. Leia

Thomas vs. Sam

I watch all the initiates look at the board, and I love the look of awe on Jeremy's face when he sees I paired him with the best fighter, Nate.

Tobias comes in last, and he walks over and leans against the table, next to me.

"Alright! Today you will be fighting each other." Tobias calls out.

"First fight, Jeremy and Nate!" I say.

They each enter the ring.

"The fight continues until one of you is not able to fight anymore." I say.

They circle around for a few seconds. Arms up, they guard each other, more on defense than offense.

"Quit playing around!" I call.

"I remember saying that." A voice says.

I spin around to see Eric standing behind me. He smiles his evil grin and I look back to the fight. Jeremy tries punching Nate, but is off balance and Nate kicks his legs from underneath him. Almost too easy.

I suppress a sigh. I know it's horrible to wish pain on another, but I do; I want Jeremy to suffer.

Nate throws out a leg to kick Jeremy, knocking him unconscious.

Tobias takes him to the infirmary, leaving Eric to take his place. Even if he isn't talking to me, I still love him, and much rather have him than Eric.

The next two fights go fast, and boring, one person knocking the other down in a matter of minutes.

The last fight is Thomas and Sam, who are almost exactly at the same skill level. They fight evenly, one punches, then the other does.

"So, you and Four are keeping the relationship hidden?" Eric asks.

"Not really a relationship anymore. He won't even talk to me." I tell him.

The fight gets boring, but I stare at them, not wanting to stare anywhere else.

"So, he broke up with you? I heard what happened with truth or dare." He says.

I look at him. "Why haven't you insulted me yet?"

"I have a good side, you know!" He protests. "Plus, I know you're available." He raises an eyebrow.

My eyes go wide, and my cheeks heat up.

"What?" I ask.

"Come on, Tris. I wouldn't mind a girl younger than me. I know you don't mind an older man." He smiles, his hand brushes my cheek.

I bat his hand away, taking a step back. Suddenly, something- someone, I should say- kicks Eric forward, landing on me. I scream, and scramble away from him. I see someone punch Eric, and kick him until he couldn't get up.

The man comes over to me, and kneels beside me. My eyes are blurry with tears, but I make the man out to be Tobias. He takes my face in his hands, and stares at me, his dark eyes looking conflicted.

"Even if you don't love me anymore, I'll never stop protecting you." He says, quietly. "I still love you."

I nod, wanting to say more, but he gets up, telling the initiates training is over for the day.

I get up and brush myself off, and walk toward Tobias, but he swiftly walks out of the room. I don't follow, though I want to, but I know he won't talk to me.

But he just did.

He said he still loved me, he wanted to talk to me, he just didn't think I loved him.

Did he really think that? Was he just jealous?

There was only one way to find out.

I think I will be ending this story soon. Don't worry! I will be posting more divergent stuff soon!