Resilient

"Resilient"

by mangoskies_

Heyyy, it's Lila here (liloshy) and I'm gonna review your book. Let's go!

Cover: Did you make this yourself? It's really cool, and fits perfectly with your story.

Title: It's a lesser known word, but once I figured out the definition (LOL) I agree that it works well with describing your story. Basically it means stand up to/fight back. Got me interested.

Summary: I love the quote at the beginning! Caught my attention definitely. The rest of the description is pretty good, but it could be a little less bland. I really like it though, don't get me wrong. I would absolutely click read.

Premise: I'm sure you get this a lot, but in science fiction a lot of ideas are overdone. The whole "ahh there's a plague and I'm immune" is something I see a lot, but I felt like you did an excellent job at putting your own twist on it.

Plot: I think that you're story is kind of (very) rushed (but after reading your author's notes I know you're aware of this issue) but it's a good idea and story. The cliffhangers and amazing plot twists keep me constantly on the edge of my seat! Just slow down just a bit.

Characters: I love Quinn! She has a unique personality, and to me she seems like the tough/hard humor gal in the apocalypse. And the fact that she's pregnant is another interesting factor. Alex, Eleanor, and the other few characters mentioned are all great. However, the main character Victoria could use some work. She seems kind of flat and numb, and maybe she's just in shock from what's happened, but I feel like she'd be more upset.

Writing Style: Wow! Your attention to detail is astounding. You have heavy, amazing descriptions in your writing. You might try experimenting with "sentence variations" which is different length sentences. The writing can sound kind of monotonous if your sentences are all the same length.

Step-by-Step

Chapter One: The way this started was great. Yes, I was totally hooked!! The rest of the chapter seemed pretty rushed to me however, slow down the pace. You could stand to add a scene or two before the crazy action starts. Also, Victoria is kind of naive? Like I mean I know you stated "And Amelia probably just has a stomach bug or something" but her mom is a nurse, so wouldn't she wake her? Overall though fantastic. I would def keep reading.

Chapter Two:  I LOVED THIS CHAPTER. It didn't feel rushed to me (although everything seemed to happen kind of fast between the first and second chapter). The scene with Josephine was spectacular, great action, and really contributed to the story. And I loved the plot development after the break when Victoria visited her mom.

Chapter Three: Hell yeah! This is already very interesting (and is it wrong that I ship Victoria and Alex, even though she literally tried to strangle him? It probably is wrong but I DO I'M SORRY).  I also really like Quinn's character. I wonder what made her so tough (and I'm excited to see what happens with the baby!) Dialogue is good, and for the first time I felt like Victoria was actually human because of the scenes you included about her emotional state.

Chapter Four: One word: Rushed. You should include another scene or something before this chapter maybe? But I think the pool idea... was awesome. I would suggest spending some more time on Quinn's dialogue scene too. But OMG the freaking cliffhanger at the end. (I was so mad but also so into the story at this point) 

Chapter Five: The opening line for this chapter is great!! However, would she really be spending so much time thinking as she's drowning?  I have to say I really liked the development between Vic and Alex in this one. And Eleanor's eery warning sparked something in me like "uh oh, the government's out to get them". 

The way this chapter ends was done too quickly (slow it down) but JESUS girl, Nick showing up? THESE CLIFFHANGERS ARE GOING TO KILL ME, but I absolutely love them.

OVERALL: I went ahead and read all of your chapters, since there are only five published chapters so far. I am definitely going to keep reading because I'm totally hooked. You have an amazing writing style with a flair for details, interesting plot and characters, and a good story going for ya. However you should slow down the pace and make the protagonist more relatable.

PAYMENT

Just vote on this chapter and give me a follow :)

Reviewed by liloshy