sixteen

A/N: Here's the chapter that all of you have been anticipating! I hope you all love it, and continue voting and commenting. Also, I have sad news. There's only going to be two-four more chapters of this story. :( I can't believe it's nearly over. I wanted to have more chapters, but since this book is based off of the movie and the movie itself didn't even have many chapters, there's not much left. But anyways, enjoy chapter sixteen. I love you. xo

Julissa

I sat at Niall's side for what felt like a decade, the only sound being of his rough and shallow breaths.

I didn't know what time it was or how long it had been since he had gotten stabbed by Axel. I didn't even know if my mother or father were okay, and quite frankly I didn't really care if they were or not in this point in time. The only thing that mattered to me was Niall's health, which seemed to be going down the drain at a dangerously rapid pace.

He suddenly coughed, snapping me out of my thoughts in seconds.

"What is it?" I asked worriedly, scooting as close to him as I possibly could and setting my palm against his cheek.

"Nothing, it just hurts," he exhaled sharply, his pained words ripping my heart into two. "How long do we have left?"

"I don't know. I don't even know what time it is," I sighed, pulling my hand away and rubbing it over my face, frustrated. "We can't wait much longer, Niall. It has to be almost seven by now. It's practically light outside."

He weakly took my hand in his cold one and lightly squeezed it, trying to let me know that it was alright. "I'm sure it's almost seven, Jules. Please relax, baby."

I scoffed, heat rushing to my cheeks due to the anger I was feeling. "How am I supposed to relax? If you don't get medical attention soon, you're going to die. You're going to fucking die on me! Do you think I really want to deal with losing yet another person that I care about during this? No, I sure as hell don't!"

Niall groaned and dropped my hand, causing me to regret getting loud with him. He was severely ill and bleeding to death, and here I was snapping at him because I didn't want him to die. How in the world is that going to make anything better? It isn't, and until we can get him to a hospital I should be comforting him and letting him know that I was going to be here through the entire thing.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, my eyes watering for what seemed to be the millionth time tonight. "I'm just scared and I can't just sit here and watch you leave me."

"I know, I would be doing the same exact thing if this were the other way around," he said, beginning to close his eyes, but I stopped him before he could by tapping him on the shoulder.

"You can't close your eyes," I croaked, wanting to sound demanding but it being the exact opposite.

He chuckled softly, looking at me amusingly. "Julissa, I wasn't going to. I was only going to blink."

"Oh," I mumbled, moving my gaze towards the hallway where footsteps were coming towards us. "I knew that."

As soon as I looked I saw both my mother and father walking our way, their facial expressions instantly turning to relieved as they seen me alive and healthy. But that was until they caught sight of Niall's pale and bloody body on the floor beside me.

"Oh my god," my mother mouthed, her hand going over her mouth in horror and shock. "Julissa, what happened? Where's Maddie?"

"Axel," I squeaked, the tears falling down my cheeks again. "He stabbed him. I don't know how long ago it was, though. I just know that we need to get him to the hospital really soon, mom. And Maddie's in the bathroom. I told her to lock the door and wait until we came to get her."

My father reached us and kneeled down by Niall's head, carefully putting a hand on his shoulder. "How are you hanging in there, son?"

Niall winced from the pain still surging through his chest but didn't cry, not daring to show weakness, nodding. "I'm getting through it."

"You'll be fine. There's only a few more minutes until they make the announcement that the Purge is over, and then we can call an ambulance," he encouraged.

I let out a breath of relief, thankful to hear those words come out of his mouth. We were right. It was nearly seven now. Niall would be able to make it. He was strong enough to fight this, and he was going to live. Everything was going to be okay. Everything would work out for us.

"Thank god," I murmured, unable to believe that this was actually going to be over. "I told you you were going to be alright."

Niall smiled feebly, his eyelids beginning to droop. "I know. I guess I should trust you more often, hm?"

I nodded, running one of my hands through his hair slowly to help soothe him and forget about the pain. "Yeah, you should."

He didn't reply then, but just looked at me and closed his eyes, a soft sigh escaping his lips. The actions concerned me, and I stopped touching his hair and instead put both of my hands on either of his damp cheeks. "Niall? Niall, open your eyes. You have to stay awake for just a little while longer. Then you can sleep, I promise."

He mumbled faintly but didn't listen to my instructions, causing my heart to start beating faster inside of my chest.

No, this couldn't be happening. Not now. Not when there's only a minute or so left until this will be over.

I brought my hands to his shoulders and shook them, hoping that would work. But sadly, nothing happened.

"Niall, no," I panicked, my head starting to spin and my vision blurring from a new wave of tears. "Wake up, Niall! You can't do this to me! You said that you'd fight! It's nearly over!"

My father tried to tell me that he wasn't dead yet, but I wasn't paying attention to him whatsoever.

After a minute or two he finally was able to get me to listen to him, but just as he opened his mouth to speak the sirens that we had all been wishing to hear for the past twelve hours went off, finally signalling the end of the event. As soon as the blaring stopped more sirens filled the air, but these being of cops, ambulances, and firetrucks. It was done.

The Purge was officially over for this year, but now Niall was officially not breathing.

Am I the only one that thought of Niall's twitter at the end? Omg yeah? Okay lol.