Chapter 10 - Wishful Thinking

Happy long weekend my dears! Ang saya, three days of rest and time with family. I hope you all get to do what you want this weekend. Life is so short, enjoy and take life less seriously. I will be writing up a storm this weekend, in preparation for AMACon 4.5, my other AMACon Group Fic Exchange, in preparation for Aldub's Second Anniversary, and siyempre, hoping to publish more chapters of Girl Friday. 

How do you like the story so far? I love the comments, so happy that some of you are so engaged with the story. Our characters are slowly getting closer, in a matter of time, we will see together the love growing between them. 

As promised, this is a lighter story but it's not without emotional moments also. Meron pa rin, but overall, I promised this story to be light and funny, and I hope I am being true to that. So enjoy your reading and stay engaged, let me know what you think of this chapter, ok? :)

Maine was already in the function room they reserved for the investors when Richard arrived. She was busy arranging the documents on each seat of the table, just as the projector and laptop were already set up and tested to be working. There was a buffet table already laden with food at one side of the function room, and some tokens in gift bags were also on standby for their guests.

Richard arrived, looking much better than last night. He was wearing a dark suit, looking very distinguished and.....damn hot. There was no trace of his sickness last night, and she was thankful that he must have rested well. As for her, she didn't get much sleep, really.

What happened last night made her imagine how nice it was to be in a relationship, caring for someone. Her last relationship was way back in high school, and it ended when she relocated to Manila for college. It was no heartbreak, she was excited to start college life, and the relationship seemed more like an outgrown habit.

She started by renting bedspace with some classmates, but transferred when she noted losing some of her personal stuff in the room. Her current job allowed her to rent her own place, a studio type semi-furnished apartment that gave her precious privacy for reasonably low rent, because her classmate's family owned the place.

"Maine......."

Richard was smiling at her, his dimple deepening, eyes mere slits. It was like her heart stopped, seeing how he smiled at her. If panties could melt, hers would be in a puddle at her feet by now.

"Sir, how are you feeling now?"

"Better thanks to you. That was beyond your job description, sobrang thank you ulit. Ikaw, baka mamya nahawa ka sakin."

"Ok naman ako sir, don't worry."

His hand reached out for her and her breath caught.

"You have something in your hair."

He picked out a strand of thread from her hair, and in her panic over his nearness, she dropped the documents she was holding. They bent down at the same time, bumping their heads against each other. He helped her stand and held her jaw with one hand while gently rubbing her temple with the other.

"Sorry, sorry........Sakit?"

Ang lambing, shit.

The bump wasn't that bad but she liked his hands on her face and closed her eyes. Just a few more seconds, this may never happen again.

Sayang opportunity.

"Ahem...."

"Dad!"

Richard suddenly dropped his hands from her face, his ears getting an angry shade of red as though he was guilty of something. Richard Sr. looked at his flustered son and winked at Maine knowingly. Why does he always arrive at the most crucial moments?

"Nice setup hija. Good job."

Their guests arrived shortly after. Richard presented an orientation on how it was to do business in the Philippines, the kind of permits they needed to secure, possible office locations, and timelines for the businesses to get to operational status.

Maine was in awe of Richard as he presented to their investors. For someone so young, he looked so confident and convincing. She admired his passion and eloquence. The investors asked many question that he and his dad answered satisfactorily. For her part, she took down notes, made sure that all the investors had a copy of their financial statement and company profile. Everything ran smoothly until the tokens were given, signifying the end of the meeting.

She was tidying up the room when Richard approached her. By this time, he already removed his coat and loosened his tie.

"Maine, I wanted to thank you properly for the favor last night."

"It's nothing, sir. Ok lang po yon."

"No, at least allow me to treat you to dinner? Sige na. I don't like being indebted to anybody, I want to give back."

"Dinner with me? Sino po kasama natin?"

"Uhmmm.....sino ba gusto mong kasama? Are you afraid to be alone with me?"

She looked at him, trying to figure out what he was thinking. Wrong move though, he was looking intently at her, and locking gazes with him was like sinking in quicksand. It was difficult to get out of that gaze and for a moment she just looked at him.

"Huy. Ano kayong dalawa? Are we done here?"

"Y-yes po sir Richard. I already settled the bill with their Account Manager."

"Sige, I'll go ahead, ok? RJ, see you on Sunday."

"Ingat po sir."

She turned away and started gathering her things, feeling awkward all of a sudden.

"You need help ba?"

"No sir, ok na po, Manong Pete will get these things then siya na magdadala sa office."

"Maine."

"Po?"

"About dinner....."

"Sir, Thursday po ngayon, I have classes till 8:00."

"So......ayaw mo? It's ok."

She saw how disappointed he seemed and it made her think that he might be lonely and needed to be out. She remembered what his dad said, that he didn't like mingling and had only one friend who had the gall to steal his girlfriend away. It meant he had no one left other than his dad and her. But she wanted to guard her heart, it was difficult for her to see him in a different context other than work.

"Sir, I want to but it's only 5:00 now so ang tagal mo maghihintay."

"Gusto mo mag-sit in ako sa class mo?"

"Oh my God no! Sir wag, nakakahiya."

"Why? I'll just stay at the back. Tahimik lang ako."

"Siiirrrrrrr. Pwedeng wag na? Di ako makaka-concentrate sa classes ko."

She felt herself blushing and he was smiling at her. She was mesmerized by that dimple.

"Ganito na lang, hatid kita, then I'll come back for you at 8:00."

"Hindi ba yun hassle for you, sir? Baka mabinat ka."

"I'm stronger than what you think, Maine. Pero thanks for the concern. Lika na, baka ma-late ka sa class mo."

"Uhhh, sir. Magbibihis lang po ako. I don't want to go to class dressed like this. Five minutes lang sir."

She dressed quickly, changing into slim fit jeans, sneakers and a white shirt. Her clothes and shoes went into her backpack, her hair now up in a ponytail. He took her bag from her as she approached him and held her by the small of her back, leading her to the parking area outside the venue.

"Wala po si Manong Rod?"

"Wala, I allowed him to go home early kasi napuyat din siya last night."

So it would be just him and her tonight. She was excited and scared at the same time. Could she consider this as their first date?

She wished, for wishing was all she had right now.