Iris Message

"So what happens now? I should probably get home," I said.

"No, you're a demigod. Half god, half human. Like me. One of your parents is a god or goddess and the other is human. You're safer here. There are monsters out there waiting to eat your guts. Do you have a dad or mom out in the mortal world?" Nico said. We were standing in the 'Big House' or whatever they call it.

"What do you mean, of course I have a dad," I answered, annoyed.

"A dad, uh? So that means your mom is a goddess. What's his number? We'll call him to let him know you're safe with us," he said. 

"No, I want to talk to him." 

"Fine."

*****************************************************

Nico had lead me to a cabin packed with people, all in their teens. The cabin was filled with bunk beds, sleeping bags, backpacks, and toiletries. He lead me to a small fountain on the floor against the wall. It was squirting water and a few golden coins in it.  

"The phone in the Big House isn't working so we'll do this the old-fashioned way. Iris messaging."

"Don't you people have phones? Or are they not allowed here?"

"They attract monsters."

"You know, I'm not a little kid anymore. There's no such thing as monsters."

"This is the Greek world of immortals and monsters. Believe what you want," he said as he searched in his pockets for something. "You don't happen to have a drachma do you?"

I shook my head. I don't even know what it was. 

"Aha!" He pulled out a gold coin like the ones in the fountain and tossed it in.

"O Iris, goddess of the rainbow, please accept my offering," he said. Whatever he was doing, it seemed like sorcery. A rainbow appeared. 

"What's your dad's name?" Nico asked me. 

"John Phillip Kaltone. His number is 267-356-1555," I said, adding in his number in case they need it. 

"Show me John Kaltone," Nico told the rainbow. Admist the rainbow, my dad's face appeared. He looked tired and just as startled as I was when he appeared.

"Nessa?"

"Dad! I'm so sorry! How have you been? I'm alright but you look tired, what happened? Dad, have you not been sleeping well?" I bombarded my dad with questions concernly.

"Nessa. Nessa!" My dad raised his voice to get my attention and snap me out of my frenzy.

"Nessa, it's good to see that you're safe. But listen to me, you have to help her. She's unstable. She-"

"Dad, calm down, who's she?" I asked. 

"No time to explain, if she isn't stopped, she will completely destroy the balance and the world will-" before he could finish the rainbow faded along with him. 

"Wait! What? Dad!" 

"He knows," muttered Nico.

"What? Know what?" I asked impatiently. Nico shook his head and act as if he never said anything. 

"I'll get you the toiletries you need. For now, get some rest and maybe a shower before the campfire," Nico said, stepping out of the cabin. Well, that was rude.