Hamburger

A few years ago, my then-three-year-old had a fever which I was treating with baby Tylenol. I gave him his dose before bed, got distracted and walked into his room to see him holding the medicine bottle in one hand and the dropper in the other saying "I give myself a medicine!!"

So anyway, we go to the ER four hours later a blood test confirms he didn't, actually, ingest any medicine. Phew. So we head home in the middle of the night exhausted but fine. But it was while he was there, a nurse gave him a stuffed bear.

My son named his bear Hamburger and started sleeping with him in his bed.

Being an imaginative preschooler, my son pretended to talk to Hamburger a lot and Hamburger would "tell him things."

One day he walked into the dining room and demanded crayons and paper because Hamburger "told him he had to draw a picture."

This is the picture Hamburger made him draw:

It's a bunch of dead people in a graveyard with headstones above them. Hamburger told him to draw them red. They have x's in their eyes. They are all smiling.

Anyway, it's been years and I'm not sure where Hamburger is now. The toy box maybe. I'm going to keep him there.

My kid just walked by and I asked him if he remembers drawing it and he's like "Yeah. Those are dead people."