love

AGE SIX

namjoon, hoseok, and yoongi sit in the school benches, talking mindlessly while observing a few students playing. school had ended several minutes ago.

it was fairly nice outside, being spring. the air was light and fresh, numerous cherry blossom flowers blowing gracefully through the air and gently landing on the boys' soft skin. hoseok thought yoongi looked pretty with pink flower buds adorned in his raven hair. yoongi thought the blossoms were slightly annoying, but kind of lovely if he was forced to be optimistic. namjoon just wants to make a flower-crown for his plush ryan.

hoseok picks at a flowerbud on the table and places it on the tip of his nose, before blowing it up in the air in an attempt to get yoongi's attention. yoongi is sleeping with his eyes open (or daydreaming, whatever, same thing), so he didn't notice his friend's efforts.

before it landed, namjoon grabs the flying petal and accidentally crushes it in his fingers.

"namjoon!" hoseok complains.

"huh?" namjoon utters as he notices the crumpled blossom in his palm. "awh! no i didn't mean to crush it!"

"crush what?" yoongi questions, now snapping back into reality and realizing namjoon and hoseok exist.

"flower," hoseok answers before smiling sympathtically, "it's okay namjoon."

namjoon gives a wide, dimpled grin before something suddenly catches his eye.

yoongi spots a large car parked in the nearly-empty lot near them, and a loud voice calling "namjoon!" from the window.

"oh!" the tall boy mutters in surprise, hastily grabbing onto his black backpack and shooting the boys a small grin. "see you tomorrow!" he says and quickly jogs off, leaving yoongi and hoseok by themselves.

the two watch as their friend climbs into the vehicle and it drives away, leaving a misty trail of grey smoke diffusing into the cool air.

it's comfortably silent for a few moments. the boys watch as the last of the students leave the campus, heading home or to various activities. hoseok's mum was late today, and yoongi usually walked home. the boy assumed his own mother wouldn't mind yoongi being a bit late; hoseok was by himself anyway.

he glimpses at the boy beside him, a faint redness in his face. sometimes it was weird when it was just him and hoseok alone. it felt like there was something there. an unspoken, mystifying secret they kept among themselves, and a mystery yet to be solved.

yoongi doesn't like these confusing emotions. he wants everything to be simple and easy. but of course, life doesn't exactly play out that way. in a way, he feels obliged to piece together the complicated puzzle that was this hectic feeling. another side of him longs to stay quiet, lurking in the shadows of this enigma while hoping it would all work out in the end.

for now, he put this off, promising himself to solve this when he was a bit older.

"what are you thinking about?" hoseok asks suddenly, his eyes still focused on the dreary landscape in front of them.

yoongi stutters. "uhm..! friendship!" it was the first thing that came to his head.

"friendship?" hoseok repeats, an amused smile on his lips. "nice."

he absentmindedly scoots closer to yoongi, so their shoulders brush. yoongi can hear hoseok's breathing, calm and steady. breathing with a certain ease. even his breathing is attractive... huh.