cold

AGE TWENTY

it won't be much longer until he's gone...

it's light outside. the crystal clear sky is a crisp blue and the lazy clouds are clumped closely together, like oversized cotton balls floating in a bucket of fluorescent blue paint. they slowly pass through the sapphire sky, lingering over the radiant sun until a pool of light somehow shines its way through the translucent fluff. it seems like a very pleasent day.

too bad they have to stay inside.

yoongi sits in the chair next to hobi's bed. their hands are interwinded and yoongi is quietly reading a book while hoseok hums his song. 

his tired eyes trace over the letters but he can't absorb the words. his mind feels too jumbled to even focus on a movie, let alone a complicated novel.

yoongi puts the book down and gazes back at his boyfriend, who is still softly singing.

he looks at the sunlight gently beaming on the side of hoseok's face. the golden strands of thinning hair draped across his forehead like silk curtains and the charcoal embers in his glistening eyes. his skin was paler now, sickly and pallid from the dingy hospital lights. he was thinning dangerously and slowly wearing away, limbs like sticks and bones evident on his thin body.

but still, he took yoongi's breath away.

"i wish i could marry you," hoseok sighs suddenly, corners of his mouth upturned a bit.

"ask me now; i'll say yes," yoongi immediately replies.

hoseok chuckles weakly, closing his eyes as though he was remembering something happy, and warm. "where's your snarky comments, yoonie? i miss them."

"you do?" yoongi responds, surprised. life had been dreary of course. parts of yoongi had dissolved for the time being, his attitude being one of them.

"yeah, sure." hoseok nods. "it's what made yoongi.. yoongi. and it made us the yoongi and hoseok we are."

yoongi shrugs. "alright then, mister i-chose-to-propose-at-the-literal-worst-time-possible."

hoseok snorts. "that was a rhetorical statement, yoonie-pie. though i wish i could."

yoongi amusedly rolls his eyes, a tiny smile emerging on his dry lips. "your nicknames drive me insane."

hoseok wiggles his eyebrows. "insanely in love?"

"hobi i swear to god–"

hoseok cackles, bearing his classic heart smile that made everyone swoon.

yoongi laughs too, happy for once, before a sad aura grows across his face, and once again the melancholy atmosphere surrounds them.

he knows he'll miss this. the funny conversations, the old jokes, and above all, the obnoxious laughter hoseok let out on a regular basis. it used to annoy the hell out of him when they were kids, but now, it just made his heart swell. love could do so many things to a person, alter things, change things, create things...

but yoongi didn't expect it to do this.

the days are numbered, yoongi knows, but still, he longs for the time to never approach.

hoseok is not doing well. he has difficulties breathing, which makes things very, very challenging. it breaks yoongi's heart, seeing his boyfriend struggle like this. but little did yoongi know, hoseok felt even worse. for his desperate wishes for yoongi to be happy were no longer being granted.