II

He was left with the three students who he noticed seemed a little tense. He could not help but raise his eyebrow with the way one of his new visitors was fidgeting too much on the hem of her shirt while the other two looked rigid. They were looking at him like they just saw a ghost or something. It made him feel suddenly conscious with his apperance. He discreetly tried to tame his unruly hair by brushing his fingers through it.

" Not to sound rude but what can I do for you? " Richard asked carefully.

" Im sorry for barging in unnoticed but we are here in behalf of the whole Meadow High School and Class 3. I am Katarina De Vera. Im the Head of Countermeasures. " The girl who stood regal in her neatly pressed school uniform and had quite an intimidating aura spoke first. She then pointed to the two beside her and asked them to introduce themselves.

" I am.. Natasha Reyes. Im part of the student council. Nice.. to meet you. "

The girl in the middle, the one who was fidgeting much on her shirt said nervously. She was then followed by the third one who was a guy with glasses. He seemed smart, that Richard can clearly see as the day. He could not also deny the intelligence with the way he spoke.

" My name is Eli Fernandez but most call me Elf. I would not mind if you feel like calling me with my nickname as well. I doesn't bother me much. I am also a member of the student council. I am pleased to meet you. "

" I am pleased to meet you all as well. Im Richard Faulkerson Jr. So why exactly are you here again? " Richard clarified.

Katarina was the one who spoke; not that Richard was not expecting it. He had already deducted that she was obviously the leader of the small group. She offered her hand to him, followed by a polite smile before she explained.

"  As I said we are here to personally welcome you to our school. You may not be used to this kind of hospitality, knowing you are from the city but its just how it goes around here. We are in a small town after all. Also as a member of the student council, we just want to greet you goodluck. We also hope for you fast recovery. "

Although still not quite convinced with their answer, he did not ponder on it too much. He also thought it was very considerate to bother themselves just to get to know him- the new guy in town. " Well I guess I should thank you all for doing this. I appreciate it a lot. "

" Have you not been to Little Meadow before? " Katarina suddenly asked.

The question surprised Richard though he was quick to recover upon realizing it was nothing more but a casual question. The polite smile on Katarina's face also hinted him how harmless it was to answer.

" No. Not recently though. I was born here but after a few months we moved to the city. I haven't visited this place till now. " He answered truthfully.

Katarina faltered for a second upon hearing his answer but was quick to compose herself. " Are you sure? "

" Hmm.. Yes. Im sure. Why? " Do you think I would easily forget visiting my birthplace?. He wanted to add that but refrained himself. He was beginning to feel uneasy with their presence. The way they throw questions and how they look at him was not helping to appease him as well.

" Nothing. Im just being nosy again, its a habit I've come to developed with being the Head of Countermeasures and all. I apologize for it. " Katarina said sincerely, bowing her head even.

Silence filled the room for a minute or two after the scene. No one was comfortable enough to break it. It was like they were suddenly muted by the tension. Richard felt like they were there for a different reason, he just could not come up with a more logical reason beside the one they told him. While the other three seemed too occupied with their thoughts. Natasha even looked like a fish drowning, she would open her mouth to speak but will close it before she could mutter a word. It lasted till the nurse who was looking after Richard went inside the room and told them visiting hours already ended.

" Thank you again for your time, Richard. We hope to see you on the first day of class. Get well soon. " Katarina was the first to say goodbye and leave the room. She was soon followed by Eli after saying the same line. While Natasha lingered for a moment and glanced at Richard with something akin to pity on her eyes.

" Have you read the school regulations? " When Richard nodded, Natasha continued to ask. "How about the class rules?"

" Nope I haven't but I will later. Why is there something I should know? " It was Richard's turn to ask suspiciously.

" No! " Natasha answered quickly. " You just follow the rules and all will be fine. Read the rules and obey them. "

It was then that Richard knew there was something the trio was hiding from him. His curiousity was struck immensely but before he could throw questions. Natasha spoke with conviction and fled from the room.

" It would do us all good if you ask less questions. Someone will tell you everything eventually but for now, do what we tell you. Follow the rules, most especially the class rules. Goodbye and hope you get well soon. "

" What was that? " Richard thought as he lay down on his bed and stared at the ceiling till nightfall.