VIII

A heavy feeling surrounded the room of Class 3 after the incident. It seemed like everyone had been affected by Natalia's untimely death but either because of grief or fear of becoming the next, all was too shocked to admit. The class had been cancelled already for almost two hours but still no student had made the move to leave yet. All of them just watched from the window how the hospital staffs remove their classmate's body from the scene.

Richard on the other hand was beginning to feel nauseous after an hour of interogation with the police officers. He had told them what he saw and how it happened though the police seemed inclined to put the blame on Natalia's state of mind at that time. They were claiming that due to her frantic will to get to her mother's side, she failed to notice the speeding truck that ended her life. Both he and Katarina, declined it of course. They argued it was the driver's fault and Natasha was the victim but still in the end it was  worthless. The investigator together with the medical personels dismissed them like nothing happened. But they could not fool Richard, he knew they were trying to hide something.

Frustrated and grieving, Richard and Katarina dragged themselves back to their room to get their things. They were expecting all of their classmates gone because one of the school teacher mentioned that classes was suspended. But to their surprise, every one of them was sitting still and only looked up when they walked into the room.

" Why are you guys still here? The classes was suspended awhile ago. "
Katarina inquired, her voice still hoarse after an hour of crying.

No one answered at first, they just stared at each other as if asking the question to themselves. Why am I still here? Shouldn't I be at home right now, should I ? Was it all just a dream? Is Natalia still alive and well?

Richard on the other hand, saw more like felt Dei's eyes on him. She was at the far end corner of the room, standing like a statue and seemingly the only one who was not fazed by the recent events. He stared at her for a moment until the sound of a someone sniffing broke the defeaning silence. It was once, coming from a girl seating near the window but then followed by their other classmates. It soon turned into loud sobs. Richard knew then that the gravity of their situation just escalated to something horrifying. He didn't know why but he had a feeling that it would not be an isolated incident.

--

After their classmates breakdowns, they were soon ushered out of the school by their teachers. They were throwing nervous glances to each other while others was out right praying. Even the teachers uttered quick prayers for their safety.

Richard on the other hand had a plan and it involved a certain girl. He approached Mr. Guevarra and ask permission to use the bathroom. His request was granted with no much fuss so he went but he already had a different route in mind. Turning to a corner, he then started running. He just knew he'd find her there and he was not mistaken. Dei was there at the rooftop, looking like every bit of a beautiful doll with her eyes closed. She was standing at the same spot where they had that weird but nonetheless a decent conversation.

" Dei! I knew I'd find you here. " Richard spoke as he approach her slowly. " I hope Im not intruding but I just need to know. Why ? I have so many questions right now that I dont know where to start. "

Dei only threw him a blank stare and started to get up, picked up her doll which oddly resemble her. She then walked to the door where Richard came and motioned for him to follow. They walked passed different rooms, down to the school lobby and was soon out of the premises.

Richard had fought the urge to ask where they were going for almost a dozen times already. He didn't want to jeopardize his chance to know the truth or even a sliver of it. Though it was getting dark and the thought of his aunt and grandparents was worrying him but he did not want to miss this chance.

Dei stopped infront of a small house with a single circular window. It was not tainted enough that Richard need not to get close to see dozens of dolls inside. " A doll house? Why are we here? "

" Its the only way I could tell you that you would understand. A lot of things happened while you were gone, Richard. " Dei answered before she went inside.