VII

Natalia desperately wanted to tell Richard what was the fuss about Dei and what was trully happening in their little town. His suspicious looks and doubtful expressions was beginning to bother her and the fact she was not a great lier was no help either. She had concluded it was better for everyone concern if they let their new classmate in on their well kept secret. She knew he had to know he was in immediate danger too and befriending Dei could potentially destroy the plan they had to prevent anyone turning up dead. But she didn't have the guts to go against Katarina and also she always end up shivering with fear whenever the true story of their class comes in conversations. How couldn't she not, when one of her siblings was a victim of the curse?

And she had grown fond of Richard. She had known him a little better after they had became partners in a project for a week and he surprised her. He wasn't anything like what others told her about the boys from the city. He was very much considerate and not the boastful, egotistical brat she had expected. He was polite and a true gentleman. His wit and funny remarks had help her feel comfortable around him. Richard's charm and looks was a great contributor of course, she was just a girl after all. She blushes each time he smiles at her, showing his dimple and perfect set of white teeths.

It was one of the many reasons why Natalia asked Katarina to tell Richard about the curse. She had seen him threw glances with concern at Dei whenever she's around and then his eyes would roam the class like he was asking for answers. She feel sorry for him everytime but she was given strict orders to keep her mouth shut. She also had pitied Dei and had seen the drastic change the plan caused to the once bubbly girl. But just like others, she was just a pawn and she clearly wanted to live further though her conscience was eating her bit by bit each day.

" You look like someone who got her lunch stolen. "

A familiar voice broke her train of thoughts and had startled her that she almost ending up slipping off her chair. Thankfully, the owner of the voice was fast enough to react and caught her arms before she did.

" A bit jumpy, aren't we? Not a good night sleep? " Richard asked, chuckling lightly.

" Nuh, just too much in mind. " Natalia grumbled while trying to smoothen her blouse and compose herself. She didn't want to further humiliate herself infront of her classmates. " Thank you by the way. "

Richard just shrugged and settled down to his seat but not before patting her head and spoke in a jokingly manner. " Just don't do that often or your brain might explode. We don't want that to happen right? "

" That would be gross and I'll try to take your advice. " Natalia answered and tried to smile but it only appeared stiff and unsure. Luckily for her, Richard had no time to acknowledge it for their first subject teacher just sauntered into the room and had him read his report infront of the class.

She could not help but giggle like a little schoolgirl whenever Richard stutter or mispronounce a word due to his nervousness. She found it cute and adorable. And it helped pushed the thoughts about her predicaments about the curse in to the back of her mind. But it didn't last long for after their first class, a teacher came barging into their room panting and was looking for her. The teacher threw her a pityful look before telling her the dreadful news.

" Its your mother, Natalia. She was rushed to the hospital "

Natalia knew immediately what had happened and was quick to move. She grabbed her backpack  not minding if she got it zipped, and her favorite umbrella before running out of the room. Richard and Katarina's plea for her to slow down fell on deaf ears. She had slipped a few times on the corridor, ignored the bruises on her knees and had already spilled half the contents of her bag but went on nonetheless. She only stopped when she noticed Dei leaning on a wall near the front gate of their school. Their eyes met for a brief moment and it gave Natalia goosebumps for its been forever since the last time she had seen those pair of  brown eyes. The once bright and mesmerizing eyes of her childhood friend was now empty and lifeless. But she had other important priorities than to ponder on it more, so she continued to run wishing she wasn't too late and her mother was just having those melodramatic moments of hers again.

Richard and Katarin was just a few feet away from her. Natalia could hear them shout her name and was telling her to stop running. She thought they were idiots to think she would waste precious time to wait for them. But what she didn't know was they were telling her to stop for a different reason. It was too late before it registered on her and she was already lying on the ground, bathing on her own blood with darkness claiming her whole being.

Natalia didn't realized she was already running in the middle of the highway and got hit by a speeding truck. Her body was thrown a few feet away from where the witnesses stood, all in shock of what had happened. Richard wanted to hurl everything he had eaten for breakfast at that moment while Katarina could do nothing but stare at the umbrella her friend used to carry wherever. Dei only shook her head and walk away. She wanted to cry for Natalia but it seemed she had ran out of tears.