Chapter 12

Chapter 12

“Kate, I love you.” He whispered.

Then all went black.

I jolted awake from a nightmare, breathing heavily. I moved, uncomfortably, on the hard, plastic chair, massaging my neck.

I looked down at Liam’s sleeping face. He looked so peaceful, so young. God, he was beautiful. I looked down at our entwined hands, his hand limp in mine. I wasn’t letting go.

I was at the hospital, sitting next to Liam’s bed. Waiting. Waiting for some kind of change.

The doors at the end of the corridor burst open. “I’m back!” Beatrice said, startling the other patients.

“Shhhh!” I said, bringing my finger to my lips, motioning her to be quiet.

“Oops sorry.” She whispered, and then she asked, hopefully. “Any change?”

“Nope.” I said, popping the ‘p’

She looked down at my hand in Liam’s and said icily, “Well, you can go now. It’s my turn with him.”

I nodded, and stood up, letting go of Liam’s hand, wishing that he would grab on to me and not let me go. I rubbed my sweaty hands on my jeans and ran a hand through my messy hair.

I had one last look at his motionless face and walked of, feeling tears prickle at my eyes.

Then I remembered Ellie. Sweet, kind Ellie. Who had seen me kiss her crush. I had to fix it, because she was the only proper friend I had had since Liam and I was not going to let her go.

------------------

Ellie’s P.O.V

I was woken up by the sun, streaming in from my window, feeling empty.

I didn’t understand what had happened. Kate wasn’t the type of person to love a guy and kiss another, who, coincidentally, was my crush. I just could figure out why she had done it. Maybe she liked him all along?

God, I was so confused. I buried my head under the duvet, squeezing my eyes shut.

But, she was an amazing friend. And I hadn’t had one for ages, so why should I let her go over a boy? A very attractive boy, but a boy none-the-less.

I was going to get her back.

------------------

Beatrice’s P.O.V

That bitch, Kate. What was her problem? Why couldn’t she just back off from my boyfriend? Just cause they were childhood besties and used to date, or whatever, she just thought that Liam was still her’s. Which he wasn’t?