Chapter 26

Chapter 26

As I walked home from Maz’s, I felt a vibration in my pocket. Confusion flooded over me, before I realized it was my phone. Pulling it out, I checked the caller I.D before answering the call and putting it to my ear.

“Hey Jamie,” I chirped.

“Hey Kate,” he replied. “How are you?”

Looking back at the not-so-great events of the past few days, I decided it was best to lie. Plus, I didn’t want to share my pathetic life, there was enough embarrassment just living it.

I sighed. “I’m fine. You?”

“Great,” He hesitated. “Um, Kate?”

His nervousness confused me. Jamie had always been a confident guy, never afraid of saying what was on his mind. “Yeah?”

“Oh, never mind…”

“No. Tell me,” I said, as sternly as I could.

“Um, okay,” He took a deep breath. “ I was wondering if, um, you want to go to the cinema with me?”

I had a feeling at the pit of my stomach that that was not what he was going to say originally, but I went with it. “Sure. What do you want to watch?”

“Uh, I’m not sure what’s on… The Amazing Spiderman?”

“Yeah, of course,” I said happily. “Isn’t that fit guy in it? What’s his name? Garfield or something?”

“Uh, yeah...” He sounded somewhat dejected. “When do you want me to pick you up?”

We arranged times, agreeing that we were going for the midnight screening.

“Well, see you then,” I said.

“Yup,” Jamie replied. “Bye.”

Seconds later came the click signaling that Jamie had hung up.

----------------

I was dressed casual. Well, kind of. I had washed my hair and let it air dry, making my natural lazy waves show. After I had put of a black pencil skirt and a baggy t-shirt. The t-shirt was my favorite top. It smelled like heaven and was so soft I could fall asleep in it. Plus, it had a big smiley face on it, that I couldn’t help but grin at whenever I saw it. As I tried to remember where it came from, there was a knock at the door. I rushed down the stairs, expecting Jamie.

“Hey Jam-“ I started. But the figure on my doorstep caused me to stop.

It was Liam.

“Hey Kate,” he said, scratching this neck awkwardly.

“Um, hi Liam. What are you doing here?”

He didn’t seem to have heard me; instead he was looking down at my uncovered legs. His eyes travelled up my body to my top, a flash of recognition flashed in his eyes. I coughed, and his eyes snapped up to my face.

“My eyes are up here,” I said. I had always wanted to say that, I thought gleefully as he flushed. “Anyways, what brings you here?”

Before he could answer I heard I shout. “Kate!”

Looking past Liam I saw Jamie, leaning over my garden gate, out of breath. I smiled, stepping outside. Liam looked over his shoulder, confusion clear on his face. When he saw Jamie, I tensed visibly.

Liam and Jamie had never had a good relationship. At school they were in different friendship groups, and when Liam had left and our e-mails had started, I had told him about Jamie. I had never really understood why Liam stopped writing, but now a thought dawned on me.