Chapter 29

• Dedicated to Zayn, because he needs some lovin'

Chapter 29

I stared at Liam in complete and utter shock. “W-what?”

“Me and Beatrice are over,” Liam replied, seeming unsure of himself.

I just gaped at him. What?

Ellie rushed forward, grabbing my arms. “If you wanna perform, then you have to go now.”

Nodding mutely, I walked towards the stage, feeling Liam’s gaze on me the whole way. As I stepped on the stage, I felt a rush of confidence overtake me. Spotting the stool in the middle of the stage, I sat down, beginning to strum softly on Niall’s guitar.

“Hey, I’m Kate,” I said, introducing myself. “I will be playing More Than This by One Direction.”

A few people in the audience clapped, but apart from that, it was silent. Everyone was waiting for me to start. I coughed nervously.

“Um, also this is dedicated to this boy that means a lot to me,” I started uneasily. “Yeah, he’s perfect.”

Liam…

I took a deep breath, letting my fingers guide me over the guitar. “I'm broken. Do you hear me?”

With one thing on my mind, I continued the song.

“I'm blinded, cause you are everything I see…”

-------------

“When she lays you down, I might just die inside, It just don't feel right,” I sang smoothly. “Cause I can't love you more than this.”

“Can love you more than this…”

The last note hung in the air and the silence seemed to drag on forever. Suddenly, a frantic round of applause cut off my thoughts. I smiled in relief, as I stood up and bowed quickly, before speed walking off the stage, the applause following close behind.

As I reached backstage, I was embraced in five sets of arms. “That was amazing, Kate!” I heard an Irish voice cry.

“Thanks Niall,” I said, ruffling his hair, earning a groan from the boy in question. It was over.

I had done it.

I grinned, looking at the five faces before me; Niall, Ellie, Harry, Louis and Zayn… Wait a second…

Where was Liam?

“Um… Let’s go sit down,” Louis suggested anxiously.

Harry nodded, grinning at Louis. “Yeah, I’ve heard the next act is really good.”