Chapter 11

I was hesitant to start the day. I didn't enjoy the fact that I had divulged the horrible things that happened to me in the spire. I didn't want him, or anyone else for that matter, to pity me for it. I had escaped the spire, I am strong.
       It was early, Reaver was still sleeping and the sun had just started to appear. I took some flowers and treats I had bought in Bowerstone and set out to Hero Hill. By the time I reached the tip the sun had risen a bit more and the sky was a beautiful mix of purple and orange.
        I looked at the grave. The small grave of my most loyal dog and companion. Each step that I took was harder and harder. I missed him. After Rose died he comforted me  always. Lucien had taken everything from me, and even for a while, he had taken my spirit.
       Hearing of Reaver's return, wether he was corrupt or not, brought comfort to me. Knowing that there would be some sort of familiar face, some sort of friend or acquaintance.
       I placed the items on his grave. I buried my face in my hands and cried. I just sobbed. All the emotions of that night ran through my head, and it ached. I felt guilt, for the death of Rose and my dog. For the torture that went on in the spire, for the death of Hammer's  father.
       " Why couldn't be me! " I cried.
" Why couldn't it be me. "
        I laid next to his grave and sobbed. My lungs burned and my eyes felt like they were going to burst. I did this everytime I came here, to see him. After a while I stopped and rolled on my back, breathing heavily.
Soon after I got up and walked down the hill.
       I took my boots off and walked on the cool sand next to the lake. I sat on the remnants of some old ruins and watched as the sun fully rose. I dipped my toes in the cold water, swaying my feet back and forth.
        I walked barefoot through the soft green grass back to the camp. A few people were up and starting to cook. I danced and talked to people as I made my way back to the caravan. Reaver had appeared to have just woken up, his hair was a mess and his clothes were crinkled.
       " Where were you? " He asked, putting in his coat and cloak.
      " Visiting someone. " I said quietly. I rubbed my eyes and sat down on the bed. Reaver sat at the desk and sharpened his sword as well as cleaned his gun.
        I sighed a laid on my side, staring at the wall. What am I doing? What's the point of this? What comes after? I just go back to living the same corrupt and lonely life and I don't want that. It's strange to think that the man who I once wanted to kill out of pure annoyance is my only lifeline. Where he goes, I'll go. Is that what I've really become, a follower.
          He finished cleaning his weapons and walked over to me. He ran a hand through my hair gently, kneeling next to the bed. He'd never been this sincere to me bwfore, sometimes I forgot that he lived a regular life once, that he's human. I looked at him and sat up. I searched for the right words but nothing came out, I choked and started sobbing again.
        He embraced me, his chin on my head and his hands rubbing my back. I clutched onto his shirt as if my life depended on it.
        " I don't want to go back, I don't want to go back to that life. It can't all be for nothing. " I cried even harder.
        " I know....believe me, I know. " He whispered. He slowly pulled me off of the bed and into his lap. We stayed there for a while until I finally managed to compose myself. Wiping my eyes I looked at up him.
         " Sorry. " I whispered, looking down.
         " Don't be. " He replied.
          Frankly speaking, it was strange. Reaver and I had shared sweet moments before, but nothing like this. I could see him, the actually him, I could feel it. For once I saw him as someone's husband, friend, son, father maybe even. He wasn't just
" Reaver ", he was so much more.