The Night Migration

I couldn't sleep.
What the hell are you doing in your employer's bed? Well guestbed but that doesn't make a difference. The nuances of the situation are not important.
Mentally chastising myself as I lay in Basil's king size bed. I was a hot mess. I was a bit buzzed from the alcohol I had earlier.  But it's affect had mostly faded and I was comfortably numb. I sat up which wasn't an issue with all the pillows that were on the bed. I didn't have the heart to remove them off the bed and onto the floor. I didn't know what kind of cleaning arrangement he had going on and I didn't want to make Basil's team work any harder than they should.
I needed to gather myself, mentally replay what has happened in the last few days.
1) My daughter has woken up
This is honestly a real surprise and I am so happy to have her in my life again. Now that she was back I knew that she would be my priority. I have her back now and I refuse to let her go.
2) My employer is a father.
I'm not one to poke my nose into other people's affairs. We all have things we would rather not share. But there were too many questions. How old was she? Where is her mother? Is she still in the picture?
3) My employer knows who I am.
Many people change when they realize my lineage and to to constantly be used as a stepping stone hurt my confidence and stunted my growth as an adult. Having a small circle of friends and family who saw me for Genevieve was what really saved me.
4)Now that my daughter is awake what do I do now?
Honestly, what do I do. Not everything that I've done in my life is written in a manual. But my life has been filled with so much love and I couldn't see it any other way. It's been difficult to make it as far as I have bit now I know what I need to do to ensure the safety of myself and my daughter.
The next day

Basil awoke in the morning to the sounds of his daughter cooing in the bassinet. She had really had a great nights sleep and was ready to take on the world. Basil looked towards the bassinet then towards the empty bed longing for something he couldn't put into words. He sighed and made his way to the bassinet, picking up his daughter. Carefully cradling her in a comfortable position,  he made his way to the guest bedroom by the stairs. He knocked first to see if Genevieve had awaken. When he heard nothing he grew worried.

"Genevieve, are you okay? If you don't mind we're coming in."

He tentatively reached for the door not sure what he would fine. Flashes of a figure lying on the floor, long auburn hair fanned out on the floor.

He pushed the door open with a bit more force than he would have liked, and he accidently squeezed his daughter. She replied in kind with a noise of distress and he turned his attention to ensuring that she was okay. While he comforting her he looked to the now empty bed. It was neatly made as if it's occupant had no intention of being remembered by their interaction with the bed. The only proof  that Genevieve had been there was a folded t-shirt that was placed at the foot of the bed.
He rushed as fast as he could muster with the tiny bundle in his arms to look for his companion. He didn't find his companion but found a note and a  covered tray with a bottle next to it. Basil reaches for the note with one hand and begins to read.
Dear Basil,
I thank you for your hospitality and the kindness that you've shown me in the past few days. It is not easy to say this but you have brought me great comfort in the time that we have spent together. I have many things that I need to take care of to ensure that my life as well as my daughter's well-being are taken care of. I have left knowing that should I need you, you will be more than willing to assist me in whatever I may need, But I am in no position to impose on you especially when your own life is full of uncertainties. I prepared you something for the both of you, so I hope you don't mind my borrowing your kitchen. Thank you again.
Your friend,
Genevieve J.
Dumbfounded, Basil dropped the note and uncovered the plate. It was pancakes with berries for the eyes and a bacon smile. He chuckled, putting away his worry for his friend. Well more than friend. At least that was what he wanted. But soon he was drawn out of his thoughts by the hungry cries of his girl. He fed her the bottle that was on the tray and thought of his now missing friend.
Genevieve, he thought,  where are you now?