Stranger than Fashion

I began to tell my best friend what for about the boss and the baby not aware that she was falling asleep. It was a normal occurrence if she did not have food. I carted her off to the elevator and locked my office and we went off to Lucci's a small homey Italian place that I have been a loyal customer to since I was a little girl.

I, along with Claire, entered the door and heard loud noises from the restaurant.

I began to remember dinners with my family and friends.  Dates in my teenage years and late night studying in college. I remembered the owner, his name was Zeo, and how he was older than he appeared.  He had long salt and pepper hair with more pepper than salt that he wore it in a ponytail. Always in a crisp white chefs button up that showed his muscular figure.

He was handsome and had his fair share of admirers, but that was all. Along with being known for his excellent food and good looks was known for his great love of his wife of many years, Suzzette. Every time I saw them together it felt like a continuation of a Disney movie. So much love was seen between the two of them. I always wished for a love like that, thought I found it too.

Guess you were wrong about that. 

A bitter voice said. I pushed the thought out of my head and smiled at the approaching man.

"Little gigi! To what do I owe the surprise?"

His smile was large and inviting and I went to hug the older man.

"Zeo, you know I only come for the food, and now that I'm older, the wine." 

He laughs at this and motions for a waiter to bring us to my favorite spot in the resturant. A large window that allowed the viewer to look out.  It was a lovely view and I could just stare at it for hours. 

"You know Gigi- I always feed family! you girls sit back and enjoy, this is on me." 

Before we could protest he was gone, and we were served warm bread- another blessing from Lucci's. Claire seemed to agree and would audibly moan after each mouthful of the perfectly textured bread. I chuckled as other guests looked on in astonishment. Soon, food arrives, Marvelous, and we talk about Ana; what she looked like, how cute she was, and how hot shirtless Basil was.

Claire looked at me intently, as if she was watching another one of her long foriegn films.  

"I'm glad."

Confused, I tilted an eyebrow at her, "About what? the food? that usually happens whenever I- 

"No, that you're able to talk about a baby with such delight in your eyes."

an alarm clock rings, a baby's wails and shrieks are heard but Claire doesn't seem to hear it.

No, no this isn't happening this isn't real.  This happened in the past you have nothing to wory about now. everythings fine, you're good. 

"Gen? Have you even listened to a word I said?"

Back again," Yeah I do have photos but I'm not giving them out just yet.  You'll have to wait just like the rest of the office." 

She pouts but then smiles as her phone buzzes in her purse. she reads the message and with each word her eyesgrow bigger and biggger and so does her smile. 

"Good news i presume?" 

"More than that, I have to go boss lady.  Love ya bye~"

She runs out and skips out of the windows view. I stare confused at what had been where she had been sitting. 

I Laughed. She'll tell me tomorrow

I look out the window and just gaze. I see a new ice cream place and make a mental note to check it out- for myself and for the magazine of course. Another has strange designs and patterns and after a while I discern that it is a tatoo parlour and fortunetelling place. I look at the peope, oblivious to my obvious staring as they go by the window.