Chapter 10

The walk to school next day was tedious, and Alexander was slightly elated to leave Laurens to go to English. He was still embarrassed about Laurens not answering his questions, and the fact that the North-Carolinan boy didn't want others to know that the two were somewhat romantically involved.

He stepped into English with a blush on his face and very unsuccessfully tried to hide it. He threw off the backpack on his back and it accidentally landed on Thomas's seat. That's when Alexander began to  remember that night. How the fuck could he be with Thomas after he and Eliza broke up if he was dating John?
You're screwed. And you did it to yourself.

"You're looking unusually happy today, Ale- Hamilton," Thomas said. "Is it because you skipped yesterday with your dad and John?" He could find no hint of sarcasm in his rival's voice.

"Partially, but Mr. Washington did not skip, he was sick, but as you can tell, he's here today and fine." As he said this, said teacher walked casually away from his desk, ready to address the class.

"I appreciate your kindness to the substitute yesterday, and that you refused to let one student take over a class his highness's failing in."

Everyone laughed at Alexander's fathers not-so-subtle hint towards King.

"But sir, Alexander did take over class," King said, giggling.

Thomas snapped his head around and looked at the boy.

"Fuck you, your damn highness," Jefferson nearly yelled. Alexander whooped and flipped off King to make the teen even angrier.

Everything in the universe stopped for a second. Then-

"Class dismissed. George, go outside and take a walk. Jefferson, Hamilton- with me."

For the first time, Alexander felt scared of George Washington.

"Look, I know you were defending your 'honor' or 'popularity' or whatever you teens call it, but Alex- you can't go flipping off people whenever you please." Washington turned to Jefferson. "And you," he started, "Thomas, you can't say that word to other students while on the school's property." George lowered his voice to a whisper. "No matter how much he deserved it. I understand that you were just looking out for one of your best friends but-"

"HE IS NOT MY BEST FRIEND," Alexander and Thomas shouted in unison, eavh pointing at the other.

"Don't deny it. I've seen you in our class debates. You may be different byt you're passionate about many of the same things and, honestly, before I met Eliza, I thought the two of you were dating." The two boys fake-retched with 'I wish' as the only thought in either of their minds.

"Whatever. Warning, got it Thomas, Alex?"

Alexander nodded at the same Thomas did himself.

"Good. Go to Science then, I'll email Franklin to tell him that you'll need to be excused for being late."

They did, together.

***

"How did he know I have science at the same time as you?" was the first thing Thomas asked after the door shut.

Nonchalantly, Alexander shrugged his shoulders.

"I've told him about you being an asshole in science, therefore he knows I have science with you," the other replied, lying through his teeth almost obviously enough for Thomas to notice. He did not. "Why'd you defend me back there?"

Thomas was at a loss for words. Did he tell Hamilton, the nerd who was surprisingly popular and who could have any guy, girl, or person of any other gender he wanted, that he was in love with him? Or did he lie as hard as possible while making it seem effortlessly easy?

Number two.

"I just don't like seeing people insult you're intellect. That's my job for all eternity, Hamilton." Alexander blushed furiously and seemed to buy Thomas's garbage.

"I don't know if that's a good or bad thing," Alexander hummed, looking towards another direction before waving.

Thomas turned his bushy head to see that the man he was co-existing with was waving at John Laurens, who was standing right by the water fountains. The teen jerked his head up ever so slightly, but both Thomas and Alexander noticed it. It was a universal symbol of 'Come hither' after all.

"Sorry Thomas, gotta go."

"But-"

"Laurens is coming over for dinner and I need to talk to him about what he wants."

Alexander left, and Thomas slowly slouched away, trying not to be sad about his only alone time with his love being cut short.

***

Alexander noticed Thomas slouching away, and wondered if it was because he was leaving or because he suspected that John and Alexander were- 'doing things'. Laurens pulled his arm slightly, indicating the direction in witch he was taking them. The seemingly dominant boy dragged Alexander into to one of the two janitor's closets in the school. Though they did have things in them, they were unused, for budget cuts had fired the janitors and given the cooks a slight raise to have them clean the school.

"Hey," John hummed seductively. Alexander could tell what was going to happen.

"Oh, uh... Hey Laurens." John smiled.

"I thought we could use some- ahem- alone time together, if you will. I thought we could, like, just-" Alexander, who could nearly read the mind of his best friend for almost four years, said,

"You just want to make out?" Alexander questioned Laurens.

"God yes," the teen replied, and Alexander smashed his lips onto John's. Their mouths were more in sync than he and Eliza's ever were, but Alexander still could bedoing so much better.

But better has a boyfriend.

Alexander pulled back for a split second, considering his options. He could tell John about his crush on Thomas, he could claim he still loved Eliza and leave, or he could just keep kissing Laurens.

Alexander decided on the latter. He dove back onto John, pinning the curly-haired male down while fucking his mouth with his tongue. John began to pull off Alexander's shirt, and they broke apart for a moment while the top was yanked off of Alexander's skin. The boy pinned down began to suck on Alexander's neck, somehow doing so sloppily and with precision at the same time. Alexander groaned loudly, and then the door was wrenched open.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here," James Reynolds hissed.

AN: PLOT TWIST