CHAPTER TWO

When Ashton said those words, it seemed like everything became so clear. No. Freakin. Way

"Hello?" Ashton said while snapping in my face. Must've gotten lost in my thoughts.

"Oh really? I've heard of you guys before"

He seemed a little bit concerned when I said that.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it was a long time ago though"

"Oh" was all he said.

"Is everything okay?" I asked him

"What- yeah of course it is" he said putting on a fake smile. He just went into the kitchen to join in on whatever the topic of conversation was. Did I do something wrong? I was soon pulled out of my thoughts when I heard another person enter the house. It was another girl.

"Hello? Michael?' she called out.

"Crystal! Babe!" Michael called out

They joined each other for a hug and kiss before being seated. Arzaylea just looked up and back to her phone, which she seemed to be glued to.

"Oh Crystal, meet our new friend, Layla" Michael said before gesturing over to me. She smiled and happily ran over to me. Which was a surprise considering how the other female was towards me.

"It's so nice to meet you! You're so pretty!" She said while stroking my face.

"Thank you it's nice to meet you too" I said back. She pulled me back over to the kitchen to sit next to her while everyone continued talking. I couldn't help but look over to Ashton, who was avoiding any and all eye contact with me. For what reason I don't know. I was very confused. He went from warm and welcoming, to cold and distant. An all too familiar feeling. I couldn't really help myself. All I wanted right now was to be by myself for a minute so I don't look so depressed around everybody.

"Would you excuse me for a second" I said as I got up and went outside on the front porch and just sat looking at the stars. It's probably nothing, but I just needed to be in my thoughts for a bit. I missed everything I once had. I missed my dad. The way he would make me laugh for no reason, how he always knew what to say in the worst situations, how he was always by my side. I started to feel hot tears run down my face. I could really use him right now. All came to a sudden pause when I heard the door open. I just wiped away my tears and gave the person my full attention. It was Calum.

"Oh, hi"

"Are you okay? You looked really sad in there"

"Yeah yeah, I just needed to think for a second"

He moved his face closer, looking right into my eyes as he sat down close to me. I backed my head away in confusion as to why he was so close.

"Have you been crying?"

"Um, yes I have"

"Why?"

I didn't really know what to say. No one has ever been genuinely interested in my feelings before.

"Um, just thinking about my dad and stuff"

He suddenly pulled me in for a tight hug, which took me by surprise.

"I'm so sorry Layla"

I couldn't really control myself, so I just busted into tears right then and there. He started rubbing my back, which gave me a little feeling of secureness. It all just came out. I didn't want to bombard him with emotions, but I couldn't stop.

"Hey hey, it's gonna be alright. I promise. You have us now" he said sweetly while holding onto my face, staring directly at me. "Come on, let's go back inside". We then stood up, me wiping my tears and him opening the door for me. We went back inside to find everyone watching a movie, Arzaylea still on her phone. When we reached the couch everyone turned their heads to me and Calum.