Chapter Three

My mouth remained ajar as I stared at the empty parking lot. Kaden's bitterness was very evident and it didn't sit well with me. The wind picked up and the sloshing of trees dragged me out of my state of shock.

"Sorry, I got caught up with my coach." Nathan graced me with his presence. His Auburn hair was a mess as the wind continued to blow. Upon seeing my express he frowned. I crossed my arms over my chest and took a deep breathe.

"Well, it looks like He isn't going to let us talk to him."

"What happened?"

I dramatically rolled my eyes and conveyed the incident that occurred a few minutes ago. "Damn," he breathed. "What are we going to do?"

I took a peak at my watch. I better leave now before my mom suspects I've been kidnapped. I dragged Nathan by the hem of his jersey all the way to his grey Volvo which was parked a few metres from where we stood. "I don't know. But I'm not letting him get away with this. He wants us to leave him alone, that's not going to happen unless we apologise."

Nathan sighed, he knew me quite well. Well enough to know that I don't let things go nor do I leave things unfinished. Poor Kaden. He is to be subjected by my unwavering presence for yet another day.

"Well just don't push it. We don't want to cause further damage." He started the car engine.

"What?" I asked in disbelief as I put my seatbelt on. "Have you forgotten that it's your fault that we are in this mess."

Nathan glared at me whilst he pulled out of the parking lot. "I thought we agreed it was not my fault alone."

"Who threw the paper?" I theoretically asked whilst I unlocked my phone. Two messages from Mom, usual. A couple church group messages and a few from other people. I clicked on Miranda's contact.

'Let's meet for coffee today?' The message read.

I smiled and replied with a 'yes' and a time.

"Theia!"

"Sorry," I pouted realising I completely zoned out. Nathan just gave me another one of his glares.

"As I was saying, it's my fault. I know. But why the heck can't you read a note discreetly in class?"

I gasped, "Why the heck were you sending notes. Come on Nathan. This is the era of technology. You could have just sent me a text." Then he went silent. I smirked, making sure he saw as he turned to glare at me before was again paying attention to the raid ahead.

He drummed his fingers against the steering wheel, "Why are we friends?" I ignored him and continued to reply to texts on my phone. The rest of the ride was a comfortable silence.

When he pulled up in front of my house I put my phone in my pocket. Before he could respond I pulled him into a tight hug. "Because you love me." I answered his question. He didn't get time to respond as I let go and exited the car.

"Don't forget it's your turn this Sunday for Sunday School." I reminded him before closing the car door. I made my way into the house before his car pulled away from the curb and went out of sight.

______

The café on Hill Top street was my favourite spot. I was here at least once a week. The door chimed as I made my way into the cozy place. The air was buzzing with hints of coffee and fresh pastries. The cafe had a rustic look to it. The owner, Lacy, gave me a lovely smile as I came over to greet her. "Hi Theia," she greeted as she made her way out from behind the pastry counter. She engulfed  in a hug.