The Wives

Ruby's slender fingers traced along the dark hallway walls as she silently trekked behind Negan who was happily whistling away as he led her onward. All she could do for the time being was pay close attention to her surroundings, memorizing each turn the pair took, just in case it would be of any use later on.

Negan had abruptly stopped in front of a door, which must have meant they were at the right destination. He laid a hand the door knob, turning back slightly to smirk at Ruby. She simply glared back at him, anxiety thrumming through her veins for what went on behind that door. This was uncharted territory for the woman.

"Don't look so goddamn shaken up Ruby. These women all had a choice in being my wife. Just like you do." Negan finally opened the door, revealing five pretty-faced women who were chatting amongst one another, drinks in their delicate hands.

The aura of the room had changed faster than a bolt of lightning with the presence of their so-called 'husband'. The chatter had ceased to exist and a few women almost seemed to slump back into the expensive looking furniture, their dull eyes drawn the floor and away from Negan. Away from the man they were all supposedly married to.

What was the most peculiar to Ruby was the black cocktail dresses and the heels all of the women wore. She had to mentally stop herself from laughing at the ridiculous attire that would have been a hinder to survival outside of this life-sucking place. The wilderness; where her heart truly lay.

"Ladies... This here is Ruby." Negan gestured to Ruby who stood uncomfortable beside the man, all eyes now on her. The women quizzically studied her, taking everything in head to toe. Ruby could practically read the questions formulating amongst the women's soft faces. Would she be another woman to join Negan's harem? Did she pose a threat to their standing with Negan? Ruby was about to shut down any questioning but Negan spoke before she could.

"Ruby here had the same opportunity as all of you and yet she chose not to be my wife. Can you believe it?" Some of the women looked relieved, as if Ruby becoming Negan's wife would threaten their relationship with him. "There are so many people here who would do anything to get the half the damn life all of you women do." Negan leaned back, studying each of their individual faces. "Isn't that right?"

"Yes." Some squeaked out, while others nodded.

Pleased, Negan flashed his pearly teeth at Ruby as if to mock her for choosing not be his wife. "None of my wives are forced to anything they don't fucking want to- in case you wondering gem."

Ruby turned her attention back to the women who all supposedly chose to be married to Negan. Was life here otherwise really that awful that these women went ahead and gave up a life of getting to be with whomever their hearts desired over better living conditions? Ruby could not help pity all of them. If she ever figured out how to escape, maybe, just maybe she would take these women with her as well if any of them wanted to leave. That would surely piss of Negan, much to Ruby's delight.

But Ruby could not ignore the fact that these women did indeed look as though they were well taken care of by Negan. None of them looked to be starving, or have any appearance of physical abuse. They were all well groomed and hell, they even had the luxury to be drinking alcohol which was hard to come by these days. None of these things however convinced Ruby that she should rescind on her decision of not being Negan's wife. Her stubbornness was a nuisance even to herself.

"Well ladies, as much as I enjoy your lovely fucking presence, I have to shit to attend to." Negan turned away from his wives and propped the door open for Ruby who was ready to get out of the room with the women who could not take their eyes off of her.

"So...?" Negan furrowed his brows at Ruby not even having to say what he was eager to ask her.

Ruby sighed into the silence of the hallway where they now stood. "I stand by what I said earlier Negan."

"Of fucking course you do, gem. Go ahead and deny yourself of a good life here. Hey- that's 100 percent on you. Just don't come cryin' to me when you get tired of the shitty way of things that you chose because I will shut that shit down. No exceptions."

"You really are underestimating me aren't you?" Amusement lit up Ruby's face. "I can handle whatever the fuck you throw my way Negan. I've been on my own too long and put up with too much shit to say otherwise."

Negan whistled at her temperament. "Well all fuckin' right then. Tomorrow you will be starting whatever shit I say to earn some goddamn points here princess."

Ruby snarled at him calling her princess. "And if I were to chose to not do a single thing?"

"Oh you'd still be working for me alright- but on the fence." Negan began walking down the hallway, his gravelly voice reverberating against the walls. "Dead of course, that is."

"How lovely."

///

Ahhh I love this chapter, hope you guys do too!! Let me know what you loves think x ❤️

-thebelovednight