Maybe

Ruby stared blankly at the plain ceiling above her, sprawled out on her new bed with satisfaction. She could not recall exactly the last time in these years of Hell that she ever got a decent night of sleep such as last night. Maybe it was the fact that she slept on an actual mattress and not some tree branch with the sound of walkers to lull her.

Her door had suddenly burst open and Ruby did not flinch a muscle, knowing just who was coming through the entrance.

"Wakey wakey." Negan's gravelly voice broke the previous silence Ruby was enjoying, his tall frame leaning casually against the doorway.

Ruby groaned, sitting up-right now. "There is such a thing as knocking, you know."

"This may be where you sleep darlin', but I run this whole joint and if I want to waltz right in here at 2 o'clock in the goddamn morning I will do just that." Negan's signature shit-eating grin was plastered to his face. "You'd love that wouldn't you?"

"What do you want Negan."

"Well good fuckin' morning to you too gem." Negan made himself comfortable on the chair, resting his long legs up on the table. He propped his arms behind his head, his leather jacket crinkling as he stared down Ruby with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. "Today is the day you start earning some goddamn points for yourself."

Ruby now faced the man. "I could not be more thrilled. So what is my job, huh?"

The corners of Negan mouth twitched upward into a smirk. "You get to be the Sanctuary's new cleanin' lady. You'll just be cleaning some of the rooms of my men for the time being. Mine included." He added the last part with a wink.

Negan knew just how much it would piss off Ruby. And it did. It was the perfect thing to get under her skin first thing in the morning.

"A cleaning lady, really? Are you fucking with me?" Ruby's eyebrows creased with frustration. "Why can't I go on supply runs or do whatever the hell it is you guys do outside this depressing place? I can't stay cooped up in here like some caged animal Negan, it will drive me insane."

"What in the holy fuck makes you think I'd let you on supply runs? I thought you could handle whatever I threw your way." Negan snickered. "Your words not mine princess."

Ruby gritted her teeth. "I can do it.. I would just prefer to do something else like go on runs, alright? I can handle my own shit just fine and can fight better than any man you have out there."

"Cocky little firecracker aren't ya? I fuckin' love it, gem, I do." Negan sat up, his legs spread as he rested his arms on them, leaning towards the woman. "But do I really gotta remind you that you killed two of my men? Not just one poor bastard, but two. I don't take that shit lightly."

Ruby simply sighed, understanding a part of where he was coming from but still not wanting to accept it. "I would be a good asset to have out there and you know it Negan."

"Well until you prove to me that you aren't gonna try some shit, maybe I'll consider it. But for now you are the goddamn cleanin' lady, you got that gem?"

A maybe was good enough for Ruby as her cerulean eyes lit up, a smile tugging at her rosy lips. "You'll really consider it?"

"Shit gem, now you have me looking like some damn softy over here. I said maybe, alright?" Negan stood up admiring the small smile that had formed on Ruby's lips before turning to leave. "You might want to head down to the cafe before breakfast is over. Dwight will be here at 10 to show you which room you'll be starting today."

"Alright." Ruby's stomach grumbled as she waited for the man to leave.

"Don't miss me too much darlin'." Negan stole one more glance at the stunning woman before finally leaving, shutting the door behind him.

He had missed the middle finger Ruby held up in response, much to her dissatisfaction.

\\

Just wanted to say that I appreciate of you lovelies who read my story x

-thebelovednight