Chapter 8 - The Outcome

We were back to the gym for our final combat practice. Jack and Jen stood opposite Tris, Christina, Will, and I. Jen sometimes gave a weird and funny face toward me but stopped when Eric glanced at her. I knew she wanted to join the group but she didn't want to leave her brother alone. Not when things were more intense than ever before. The cut would come soon and everyone was under so much pressure. Eric made it even worse. He was training or should I say beating everyone to his or her limits, said that it would make us tougher. He was rough to everyone, myself included and I thanked him for not going easy on me. He didn't give me any favor every time we were together in public, especially in training session. But somehow he didn't pick on Jack like he used to, maybe because he saw me distancing myself to him.

"Is it like official?" suddenly Tris whispered at me so our friends didn't hear anything.

"What do you mean?"

"You and Eric?"

"Tris, please... Don't start it."

"Roxy... I know I shouldn't intervene or mind your business but I think you should stay away from him. Eric is up to no good. Who knows what he could to you?" warned Tris and I just smiled a little to her.

"Thanks for your concern, but I can take care of myself, Tris. Don't worry about that. Eric never tried to hurt me," I paused. "Well... physically," I told her and Tris forced herself to laugh.

"Stiff!" suddenly someone shouted to us and I saw Eric was the one who screamed. I took one step forward when he pointed to Tris. "You! To the Arena now!" Tris looked at me before we walked to the Arena where everyone was started to circle it around. Tris was stopped by Four while I kept on walking to the Arena and stood next to Christina.

"Peter!" Eric called Peter and my friends and I were looking at each other when Eric wanted Tris to fight Peter.

"All right there stiff? Look like you're about to cry. I might take it easy," Peter mocked her.

After Eric signaled them to start to fight, Peter was landed a punch to Tris's face and she was stumbled backward. Tris recovered quickly and circled around before Peter tried to punch her again but this time Tris got him and pinned his arm to the back. She kicked him but Peter was stronger than her. He struggled and punched Tris several times before picked her up and slammed her back to the mattress.

"Get up! Get up!" Peter was taunting and enjoying this moment

"Come on. Stop playin' with each other," Eric was losing his patience and I glared at him but he just couldn't care less. "Come on Tris!" I shouted to her and she tried to stand up after Peter kicked her. I saw Tris was limping but she got up eventually just to be knocked down by Peter again. Peter looked up to Eric then he nodded and made Peter stomped his feet to Tris' head made her unconscious.

I saw Four was leaving the gym. My friends wanted to take her to the infirmary but they didn't dare to move an inch just because Eric was glaring at them. I was hesitant at first but I couldn't see Tris laid unconscious in the Arena like that. I moved my way and I saw Edward also step up to the Arena helping me picked up Tris and laid her down in one of the tables in the gym. I was a bit angry with Eric for letting Peter beat Tris so bad like that.

Eric called Christina and Myra to fight each other. Edward rushed back to the circle when he heard his girlfriend's name being called leaving me with Tris. "Roxy get back to the group!" Eric called me but I refused to move. "Roxy!" he shouted again. I thought he was going to mad at me but he just grumbled. "You two start now!" He shouted to Christina and Myra. The fight between them wasn't last long. Christina won easily over Myra. She conceded after Christina landed her a few punches and a couple cuts on her forehead.