Chapter Five

"I didn't know you were in a habit of believing Sirius." Cassandra raised her eyebrows as she buttered toast the next morning.

"I didn't know you were in a habit of snogging Gryffindor's." Regulus challenged and she laughed, shaking her head.

"I'm not in a habit of snogging anyone. Well, maybe you." Cassandra frowned as she considered if it was a habit or not to snog your significant other.

"So he just pulled the rumour out of his arse then?" Regulus asked and Cassandra shrugged her shoulders.

"Maybe he was just teasing, noticed how we didn't spend as much time together anymore like Natalie clearly did." Cassandra rolled her eyes.

"And who's fault was that?" Regulus asked like he was talking to a child having a temper tantrum. Cassandra narrowed her eyes at him before tossing the crust of her toast at him. 

"Mine for assuming we were anything more than a beneficial contract." She threw his own line back at him and he winced.

"Not one of my finer moments, in my defence you had just compared me to my father." Regulus reminded her and she huffed a laugh.

"In my defence, my brother had just been arrested." She smiled and he rolled his eyes, taking a sip of her tea and crinkling his nose up. "Make your own." She huffed and took the mug back into her own hand, ignoring his pouting lip.

"You're a terrible wife. You're supposed to share everything with me." He frowned.

"Good thing we aren't married yet, isn't it?" She asked.

"That's debatable."

///

"Didn't anyone ever tell you to avoid things that threaten to kill you?" Sirius appeared from literally nowhere. Cassandra would swear on it.

"Or, call me crazy now, you fix things so no one wants to murder you anymore." Cassandra widened her eyes before turning back to the bathroom mirror. "You also shouldn't be in here, Myrtle will tell."

"No she won't, she loves James and me." Sirius fixed his hair in the mirror, twisting a piece back and adding a slide to keep it in place.

"It's true, I do." Myrtle agreed, her chin propped up on her hand as she looked at Sirius with an obvious appraisal.

"Back to the murderer-"

"Your mother-"

"Not my mother, merely a biological incubator." He pointed at Cassandra in warning.

"What's a biological incubator?" Cassandra asked.

"Oh, Lily has been teaching me ways to say mother without using the word. An incubator is a thing they put babies in until they're ready to face the big, bad world. Biological is too technical to explain to you because you'd need an in-depth lesson that I don't have time to give you." Sirius sighed and removed the pin from his hair, tying it up instead. "No more distractions. Serious talk."

"Serious or Sirius?" She asked, her eyes moving over her own reflection. She ran her hand through her hair, parting it off to the side and then took the slide from Sirius' hand and placed it in her hair to hold it in place.

"Both. I think you're making a mistake." Sirius told her honestly. "You were like eighty percent free of them and you've literally just gone right back to them."

"As opposed to what? Freeing myself and then being murdered. Your mother - sorry biological incubator- was right about one thing Sirius. No one would notice if I died." Cassandra huffed. "I'm not feeling sorry for myself or anything. I get it's just side effects of not having a family but right now I'm in survival mode and this is how it's done."