Chapter Seven

Cassandra allowed Regulus to twirl her around, her dress lifting slightly with the movement before settling back into the perfect shape. She wasn't smiling like she expected to be on her wedding day. This dance meant everything to the couple, they had to put up a front now and it had to be good.

She looked well, that much she could tell from her reflection that stared back at her from the mirrors that lined the hall they occupied. Regulus too, at twenty-five he was one of the most handsome men Cassandra knew, having finally grown into his features.

She was lucky, they said. Marrying Regulus Black assured her that she'd live a life of spoils and riches. Over her husband's shoulder, she watched Lucius Malfoy and Evan Rossier slip out the door with only a dark look thrown towards to their respective partners.

When Cassandra got a break, letting Walburga take her place on the dance floor, she followed the shifty looking pair out the door. She didn't trust those idiots not to ruin everything she had worked towards for years. All of the stuffy dinners about things she would never dream of.

She stepped out into a long hallway, one that envied even Hogwarts but she could hear them.

Following only the sounds of voices, she walked briskly. Her shoes inhibited her moving any faster but when she heard the screams she began to run, kicking the shoes off.

She knew that voice.

Remus Lupin was screaming with silver chains wrapped around his bare chest. His friends watched on in horror, bound by magic unable to make a sound.

"At my wedding?" Cassandra asked Evan and Lucius, her voice hitching strangely.

"Finally, you can finish him off." Evan sighed in relief, handing over his wand. She looked down, wondering where her own wand was but found she couldn't remember when she'd seen it last.

"Evan, I think it's best if-"

"What's holding you back Cass, you promised there was no attachment," Regulus spoke from behind her. He gestured for her to take the wand but when she hesitated he pulled out his own.
Cassandra woke up suddenly with a gasp. She looked around anxiously and clutched her wand tightly in her hand.

"Just a dream." She whispered to herself. "It was just a dream."

"Then go back to sleep." One of her roommates hissed and she pulled her curtains back but there were no signs of movement from around them.

She stepped out onto the cold stone floor and inhaled sharply, moving her feet around in the dark to find her slippers. When she managed to get them on she left her room, descending the spiral staircase. She had Regulus' Quidditch jersey on over a pair of shorts and she shivered.

The dungeons suddenly seemed too deep in the castle, too far away from the outside and she left through the portrait, ignoring the whispering of the portraits as she lit up her wand. She didn't go far, straying into the first hallway she found and opened a window.

Snow had begun to fall, early in November, even for Scotland. She inhaled the clean, crisp air and shut her eyes.

"You're very scantily dressed for midnight wandering." A voice spoke from behind her and she shrugged.

"Isn't that how you boy's prefer me?" She asked, turning to look over her shoulder. James Potter, Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew and Remus Lupin all stood in the hallway behind her, blocking her exit.

"I'm afraid I've only got eyes for Lily." James smiled and she rolled her eyes.

"Pity she only has eyes for that lovely Seventh Year, Dockens, I think," Cassandra spoke idly and James sighed.