Chapter Six

Cassandra was supposed to be sleeping. She almost was. Instead, though she was hovering between sleep and consciousness because of the talking surrounding her. She was lying with her head in Regulus' lap while her friends discussed anything that came to mind. The heat of the fire and the rhythmic movement of Regulus hand in her hair were tempting her into sleep but she was distracted by the things her friends were saying.

"She's been drifting, ever since Fenrir's arrest." Narcissa sighed.

"My father thinks it's a waste of time, keeping such a tight grip on her. He doesn't think the Dark Lord will even think about her when she comes of age." Lucius sniffed and Regulus sighed.

"Right now I think the best thing to do is keep her happy. A happy Cass is a friendly Cass. If she turns out useful then that's that, if not she's still got enough gold to make marrying her worthwhile." Regulus teased.

"You aren't marrying her for her money, you love her. Don't joke like that." Narcissa huffed and Regulus' fingers stilled in her hair.

"I thought I did and I thought she loved me too." He sighed. "That day I was dueling with Sirius, he told me she's been unfaithful. With a Gryffindor."

"Cass wouldn't do that, besides when would she have gotten the chance. She's never alone anymore unless it's a girl and they've been meeting in the bathroom." Evan joked and Narcissa gasped over-dramatically.

"The bathroom, the prefect's bathroom. I let her use it a while ago. But she wouldn't, the Gryffindor prefect is Remus." Narcissa pointed out.

"It would explain how Sirius knew." Lucius pointed out and Cassandra wasn't far enough gone to not know she was in trouble. 

"Remus Lupin?" Evan asked with a laugh. "The one with patched clothes and no money to his name?" 

"You don't wear clothes in the bath," Lucius said and Cassandra took the following silence as a chance to remind them all she was still here. She shifted a little, rubbing her nose and then resuming regular breathing, hoping she had fooled them.

The next thing she was aware of was the gentle swaying motion of Regulus carrying her to her room. The girls were whispering to him about nonsensical things and when he rested Cassandra down on her bed she grabbed his hand to stop him retreating.

"Stay?" She asked.

It wasn't rare she asked him to stay. It was an almost regular thing before her brother's arrest. No matter how many times Slughorn called them out on sharing a bed they never learned from it. Cassandra used to find comfort in Regulus.

"Cass, I'm not so sure." She tugged on his hand and he sighed removing his robes and crawling into her bed, a small smile tugging at his lips. She let him get comfortable before lying on his chest with her arm around his waist.

"Night Reg." She whispered.

"Mm, night Cass."

///

Cassandra woke up to fingers combing through her hair. She blinked slowly, looking up to Regulus who was smiling down at her. "Morning." He mumbled.

"Morning." She cleared her throat to rid the rasp of sleep and then checked her watch.

"I have to go back and change my clothes, meet you in the common room?" He asked and she shook her head.

"I've to shower, head to breakfast without me. I'll meet you there." She promised, pushing herself up slightly so she could press a kiss to his jaw.

"I like mornings like this. Just us, no one watching." He told her and she laughed softly.

"Think about how much better it'll be after Hogwarts. Every morning will be like this." She hummed and he considered the thought for a moment before kissing her gently.