Glimpse of sunlight

Amai POV~

I should never have trusted her.

Then I definitely wouldn't be in this situation.

The sun was warm as it bared down on me, but the cold metal muzzle of the gun on my back snapped me back into to reality. Horse hoofs pounded along the ground as carriages drove past us on the dry, dirt road. The cool wind whipped across the darkening sky as I took in deep breaths. Any other day I would have been overjoyed to see a glimpse of sunlight, to finally be on the surface, but not today.  I shuffled down the road, shrouded in a large cloak while two men stayed close behind. I could run, but what was the point if they would shoot me then and there, without hesitation. Its not like I was their top worker, I was expendable, I was replaceable.

"Keep moving" The man behind me grunted into my ear pressing the gun harder against my back, I slightly sped up the pace trying to keep them happy. The chains binding my hands together were warming in the evening sun. I held out my fingers, sunlight touching them for the first time in years and although I was ecstatic, I kept my feelings well hidden with a blank expression.

"We're here" they said from behind me, still not moving the gun. I stopped immediately and looked down at my hands slightly frowning. This may be the last time I would be able to touch the sunlight. I turned towards the building beside me, to see a townhouse no different to the others lining the street, but I knew what was waiting for me inside. A disgusting creature. Though I had done this so many times before, today was different. I was finally on the surface again at the age of 22 years, and had no intentions on leaving. We walked towards the door, the sun disappearing off my skin as the house loomed over us. One of the men stepped forward and knocked on the solid wooden door, the dull thudding rang through the air. By now the sun had nearly set, inky blue clouds disrupted the vibrant oranges and reds that painted the sky. It was simply breathtaking, I was determined to make sure this was the first sunsets of many that I get to experience again.

"Don't fuck this one up, this is one of the only customers we got up here and they pay good money for girls like you" The man still behind me said, putting a hand on my shoulder and squeezed hard, surely going to leave bruises. I flinched at his touch, worried of what was going to happen. My heart skipped faster with fear as I heard footsteps approach the door. After several seconds, it creaked open to reveal a rugged man. He was most likely in his thirties, his lanky body was small but it seemed to tower over mine. I couldn't ignore the look he gave me, his sunken eyes darting around behind his greasy, blonde hair.

"Bring her in" He said leaving the door open, we walked through it into the dark building. I immediately felt claustrophobic. The door slammed shut behind me, signifying I was trapped once again. I hated that noise. The gun on my back lowered as we walked into the kitchen, but the harsh grip on my shoulder remained. Candle light lit the small dim room as the last remnants of sunlight began to disappear, the client sat down in a chair at the table.

"Where's the money?" the man behind me asked, the client glared at him before pulling out a wad of money. The client tousled his greasy hair as he placed it on the table, hand covering it like a cage. I eyed it off, gulping at the sheer amount of it.

"Let me see her first, or the deals off " the client demanded, looking me up and down trying to decipher what I looked like behind the cloak that shrouded me.

"Fine" my employer grunted pulling off my hood quickly, I could feel the client's eyes scanning over my features. He got up, and taking the money with him, he moved towards me. Lifting his arms he opened up my cloak revealing my body, I felt overwhelmingly relieved for the loose fitting clothing I was wearing.  He towered over me menacingly, I was paralyzed with fear, purposefully avoiding his gaze.