Conscious

Amai POV~

My eyes slightly fluttered open, giving me a view of the wooden table beside my bed. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the rest of the room, lit by golden sunlight. A cool breeze gently caressed my face, the window must be open. Yet again my throat was dry, almost to the point where it hurt. The aching in my head had dulled but was still present, my injured arm throbbed for being in an uncomfortable position of being layed on. Despite this I felt better than the last time I had woken up, how many days had I been out?

Rolling onto my back my immediate thoughts contained the last time I was conscious, and the how the person had helped me. Placing my arm over my eyes I groaned in annoyance, how could I have been so stupid trying to escape in that situation? Though thinking back, the only feeling I could remember was the distinct bubbling of fear in my chest. Removing my hand from my eyes I looked up at the now lit ceiling, blinking slowly I wondered what was going to happen to me now that I was in this building. My thoughts were soon interrupted by the creaky sound of a door handle opening and the sound of footsteps entering the room.

Feeling anxious I tried to look at the person without moving, it was a girl who appeared to be younger than me. Wavy auburn hair fell neatly just below her shoulders, her fringe was clipped back to keep it out of her face. She had gentle hazel eyes, a swirl of brown and green hiding flecks of gold. She had a small petite nose covered with dozens of freckles, beneath them was a pair of pink lips. Her uniform was the same as the man that had helped last night, it must be what they all wear. She turned to close the door behind her, slowly closing it so there was no sound. Deciding it would be better to ask some questions than pretending to be asleep I slowly sat up. This seemed to startle her when she turned back around, though it soon turned into a warm smile. I tried not to make eye-contact as butterflies exploded in my stomach and my body turned rigid, every muscle burning in preparation to defend myself. It was a habit I had developed after years of living in the underground, though at times it hindered me despite how useful it had been in the past. Though it was nothing special, I suppose that everyone that lived on the grimy streets of the city felt this, you had to be that way to survive. Feeling nervous I covered myself with the blanket even more.

"I'm really s-sorry if I woke you, but it's good to see you awake" she said words spilling out of her mouth, she fiddled with her fingers digging her nails into her skin. She must be nervous talking to people, was the first thing that came to mind, especially if she can't talk to an underground civilian like me. Though the fact that I came from the underground could also have been the reason she was so awkward, people on the surface probably have been warned of people underground being dangerous. That's even if she knew I was from the underground. Though I did want to ask her how I got here, and why she came into my room in the first place.

"Why are you in this room?" I asked, my throat croaked as I spoke, swallowing I tried to clear my throat while looking over to see if there was any water where I last remembered having it. The creamy jug was beside my bed, the cup of water already filled, odd. Reaching over to the cold glass I picked it up, raising the glass to my mouth I gratefully let the water enter my mouth. I gulped down the glass, satisfied I placed it back down on the bench.

"Well since last Friday, the captain ordered that someone had to watch you all the time instead of checking on you every so often. It's my turn right now, though Hadley just left a few minutes ago" she explained trailing off at the end, now placing her hands behind her back. People had been watching me while I was unconscious, it made the butterflies flap their wings even faster making me feel nauseous with fear, and who was captain? Though she was kind, I felt a nagging feeling that I shouldn't trust her despite how friendly she was being right now. I felt as if she was unsure of what to do now, I decided while she wasn't talking I should ask another question, preferably about how I got here.